This Disappears When Logged In

Arizona Gecko Rescue -- Help! Urgent!

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Benjamin Bender, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Benjamin Bender

Benjamin Bender New Member

Hello all. I live in Phoenix Arizona and just tonight when I was going out to get food for my rabbit I opened our back door and noticed something scurry back under the door. A bit freaked out I closed the door again... and once again something scurried to get back under the door. I realized at that point it was a lizard! At first I wanted to make sure I got him back outside, but after catching him in an old aquarium I had I realized a few things. First, this guy is TINY. Absolutely tiny. Just about an inch in length from the tip of his tail to his snout. His tail appears to have been nibbled on so I think he was already injured and to top it all off, with my jittery closing of the door I believe I may have severely injured his front right food. He appears to be dragging it (I can't tell if I did it or not, but I still feel absolutely awful.)

At this point given his injury(s) .. I can't in good concious release him back into my back yard knowing he might not make it. Which is why I need your help. I need a few things from you all;

1. What type of gecko is this. I can't imagine it is.. but is it poisonous?

2. I want to keep him alive and nurse him back to health. If I can't get him back out into the wild I'd happily keep him as a pet to ensure he lives as long a life as he's able. What do I need to feed him, provide to him so that he'll continue to live. Water dish? Housing/cover? He's so tiny I can't imagine he's very old. I want to provide him exactly what he needs to get back on his feet.

3. I currently am housing him in my 1.5 gallon aquarium since it's all I had handy. It absolutely dwarfs him now since he's so tiny... but I want to make sure that I can eventually get him into a proper environment
    Please help! I feel awful and I want to make sure I do everything I can to make sure this animal makes it. I will leave pictures below in the post. Thank you!
    IMG_3981.JPG

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I can say with certainty a couple things. It's not venemous. There's only 3 lizards that are known to be none are geckos. As for exact species I can't say with confidence, but possibly a western banded. Invertebrates smaller than the space between the eyes would be food sources. Small crickets, meal worms, etc. once you get the exact species you can hone in on environment conditions.

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

That's a Mediterranean House Gecko. His tail is fine he probably dropped it when he got startled by the door (or before), they do that as a defense mechanism. His front legs look fine in the picture but even if his leg is damaged he's so little there's not much you can do.

If you're really intent on keeping it these guys are not hard to take care of. The most difficult thing about it would be finding insects small enough to feed it like fruit flies. Personally I would release it back outside, although maybe away from a door. Do you have a light outside the door? He was probably in the vicinity because he was feeding on the bugs attracted to an outdoor light.