This Disappears When Logged In

Aries update :(

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by ariesmommy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

as some of you may know my rosy boa ate on the 5th of this month (finally) he has ate twice now and will be fed the third time this wednesday. my question is...where he hadnt ate for so long...could that be why its taking him so long to shed??? he hasnt shed yet. even after the first time he hasnt shed. hes bright...his eyes are clear. the temp and humidity is correct i just cant figure out why hes not shedding. we even soaked him and its not helping. i was planning on soaking him again to see if two times works but i dont know. please help.

2. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I realize that every animal is different, however if it helps, I just went back and looked at my Luna's chart and notice that she is shedding about every 6-7 weeks..(she just shed 4 days ago, and that was her 5th shed since we got her in January of this year.) I believe my Luna is about the same age as yours, and if memory serves me correctly you got your Aries about about 1 or 2 months ago, and she has shed once for you shortly after you got her.
    If that is correct, then honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about her not shedding yet.. I realize that it is often encouraged to soak a snake when they are going through a bad shed, but honestly don't know how much that is going to help a rosy boa that possibly isn't even ready to shed yet...
    Rosy boas are one of the few snakes species I am aware of that actually can have serious health issues arise if their humidity gets too high..(I'm sure there are others species like this as well, but rosy Boas are the only ones I know offhand.)

If I were you I would hold off on the soakings and just continue offering the food..Snakes will shed as they grow..I know in your previous thread you mention that you were still offering pinkie mice...Is that the same size prey you are offering now, or have you changed the size of prey? (my own Luna moved past the pinkie mice stage fairly quickly, and is currently eating fuzzy rats.)

Didn't mean to ramble or type so much...just basically wanted to say that considering it hasn't been 2 months since the last shed, I honestly wouldn't worry too much, and considering the problems that can arise with too much humidity/water present in the enclosure, I wouldn't attempt another "soaking".

3. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

yes he shed 4 days after we got him. we are still feeding him pinkies but we had to go back to frozen pinkies because the store didnt have live ones. and OF COURSE....he didnt want anything to do with it so he has only ate twice. he hates frozen and refuses to eat it. he just uses it as a pillow or a toy pretty much. he'll push it around and flip it over but thats it. so were gonna see if our mice have babies so we can feed him if the store doesnt have anymore. I HAVENT BEEN ON THE INTERNET IN A WEEK SORRY IF ITS A BIT LATE. (GETTING INTERNET AT THE HOUSE IN A WEEK OR TWO) i dont mind you rambling because obviously youre the only one that has answered lol. so i appreciate it very much. we didnt end up soaking him but his skin makes my skin crawl. its shiny and bright colored but it looks like hes gonna peel like when u get a sun burn but its been like that for a few weeks now. hes definitely longer by 2 inches i believe so hes grown but not shed. the humidity is fine. where its been the whole time. so i have no idea.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Does he have anything for him to rub himself on to aid in shedding like other snakes do? I'm not sure how different they are with shedding since they require drier conditions.

Anyways, keep us posted and good luck, hopefully he will shed soon for you!

5. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

he has bark and a log but last time he had the same things in his tank so i just dont know. maybe he will shed soon :) lets hope for the best. and thanks:D

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Even though he's not eating every time, you stated he is growing so as long as he isn't losing weight, try not to worry too much. :) He will hopefully shed when he is ready. You can always try to add some extra decorations or foliage to give him more of a choice to rub on. If your tank is more on the bare side decoration/foliage wise, he may be nervous. They like the security of having lots of places to hide in/under/behind since they do tend to be more "shy" than other snakes. I know mine did not always like to be out in the open or so exposed in a tank that was more bare so adding more things to his tank seemed to make him more comfortable.

Do you have any updated pics of him as he is now?

7. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

umm...not many since we got the ball python lol. its my camera and i love the colors of the ball python. my husband has took a few but theyre probably 2 or 3 weeks old but i will definitely update a pic on here.

8. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

this was the second time he ate. his tail looks blue...is that normal????
    [​IMG]

9. DarkMagician207

Honestly I don't know. Mine's cream and black and is the same over his entire body. At first I thought maybe it was the flash from the camera but if you're asking about it I'm assuming that's how he looks in person?

10. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

yes. sometimes its blue like that halfway through his body and sometimes its just his tail. i think its where he eats and then when he has to poop. but i dont know. it just worries me and id like to know if its ok. he has learned how to stand on his tail so he has a course in his tank. he will come out of the bottom hole of him log, go around the tank once, then go around till he gets to his thermometer gauge, crawl over it then go into the top hole of his log and go it about 4 more times. its funny and cute. i just want to know why his tail is blue. its weird. its always been like that.

11. DarkMagician207

Hm, since it changes between being halfway down and just his tail maybe it is something like that. You could always try keeping track of how he looks before and after poops or before and after food. I'm just not sure how easy that will be, I'm just trying to think of something since I've never experienced it. I would say maybe that's just his coloring but since you said it changes that makes it less likely.

12. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok thanks hun :)

13. DarkMagician207

I even looked at different pics here: LocalityRosys.com to see if maybe something compared. Some do look like they shift in color on the way down in some spots, but it could be the lighting too of course so that makes it alot harder to tell.

14. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

How is Aries doing?

I don't know anything about the color change because mine is grey and brown (makes her sound dull, but it's not really! haha). Have you figured out anything about it?

15. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

he doing good. he hasnt ate in 2 weeks because the owner of the pet store couldnt get live pinkies so we had to try again with the frozen and of course no luck. were supposed to go this wed and get some pinkies (live) but if the owner doesnt have any again im going somewhere else. I havent figured anything out about the color change its just really weird. umm...his skin is starting to be a bit saggy. kinda like when hes slithering around there is a line on his side where his skin is hanging over. i dont know if this is because he needs to shed or what. He still hasnt shed so maybe in the next few weeks he will.

16. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

Good luck with the feeders. You could try gerbil pinkies too. Lucy didn't really like gerbils as well as mice, but she would eat them if she was hungry.

The loose skin could be from him getting ready to shed. As long as he isn't loosing weight I would just keep an eye on him and make sure there is a rough surface for him to get it started on.

17. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Has he ever been to a vet? Saggy skin sounds like it could be a sign of dehydration.
    Is he drinking that you know of? Not eating and not drinking can easily dehydrate an animal.

As far as his shedding, has he given any indication that he is getting ready? Like blue milky eyes and skin?

If you havent observed this then he might not be ready to shed, which could be due to his finicky eating habits, causing him not to grow very quickly.
    They only shed when they need to.

The milky eyes and skin lasts a few days, its basically a secretion to lubricate the skin. Then the eyes clear, and the snake sheds a few days later.

18. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

he drinks just fine and yes hes been to a vet 3 times i believe...maybe 4. umm the only blue i see on him is at the tail. sometimes it into his belly then somedays its into his tail.