This Disappears When Logged In

Aries the Rosy Boa Eating (:

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by ariesmommy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Shedding is a tough thing to catch lol. That's only the third time I've caught him shedding and I've had him for over 6 years. Snakes with lighter colors are hard to catch in the blue so it's possible you may have missed it and he will shed soon. :)

Younger snakes can be fed every 5-7 days if they'll accept it but feeding more often than that isn't necessary and can be overwhelming for their digestive systems.

2. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

his belly is looking a bit pink and his skin just grosses me out. i wanna peel it off for him lol. i hate it when somebody has a sunburn and wont peel the skin off ugh..gives me chills. anyways i looked at him today and the right eye is looking greyish but the other one looks fine...maybe it was the light i dont know. but im just hoping he sheds soon.

3. DarkMagician207

If his belly is getting pinkish it might be an upcoming shed, you don't want to peel his skin off for him though lol. The new skin underneath is sensitive and could get damaged. I'm sure he'll be okay and you'll most likely find a shed at some point.

4. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok one...im not THAT stupid lol. i would never peel his skin off for him. that could rip more than the shed off and he would more than likely die of an infection. and two...how could i help him shed if it takes longer than usual to shed???

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Give him something to rub up against like a rock? I dunno! Mine have trouble getting sheds off on smooth surfaces, so we like to have at least one sorta rough object in there with them.

6. DarkMagician207

Okay I wasn't calling you stupid, that's why there was an "lol" there. It was just advice, you would be amazed how many people actually do peel it off for them.

Yes, rough objects do help like rocks or sometimes they use their hides or if there are branches in there. Just take care of any sharp edges on anything if you find them. Or soak him.

7. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

he has bark, a tree log and a rock. so we think he'll shed in the next couple days if not tonight.

8. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

lol i know just sayin...thats why i had an "lol" in there :p omg are you serious!? thats probably the dumbest thing you could do. this is our first snake...we now have two (him and a ball python) and i could have told you not to do that!!!

how long should i soak him??? how warm or cool should the water be??? dont wanna cook him or freeze him lol.

9. DarkMagician207

Yup, serious. But some people either aren't the brightest crayon in the box or are simply just uneducated about it. Either way, glad it's not the case.

For soaking, if you have a feed bin you use for him, you can use that. Or another bin you'd use just for him. I use one of those plastic critter keepers with a couple inches of water in it. Maybe a little more shallow for you since your guy is still little. Lukewarm water. Only has to be maybe 10-15 minutes. He might not like it though and might squirm around. Be warned, most snakes poo when soaked lol.

If you're not comfortable with soaking you can always put him in a pillow case with damp (not dripping wet or soaked) towels. Tie the pillow case shut and put it with him inside in his enclosure near the warm side. This trick is mainly used for snakes who have difficulty shedding or shed in pieces and they leave the snake in there overnight but since you're just looking for some aid you could probably just do a couple hours.

10. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok...ill see what he does in the next 2-4 days and if he doesnt do anything thing ill soak him and see what happens. then if nothing ill put him in the pillow case with the towels. thats good stuff. never would have though of that. hoping he sheds tonight. bout the same time length between his feeding before we got him and then he shed a week and a day later. so i dont know. well see i guess.

11. DarkMagician207

It's possible it will be that soon. Their shed schedules are much closer when they're younger since they're growing faster. It slows down as they get older. But yea, see how it goes. If you notice his belly isn't pink anymore in the next few days and he still hasn't shed I would think it would definitely be close!

12. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok thanks bunches :) its my hubbys baby so he gets worried alot about him lol. he thinks if he doesnt eat the same time he ususally does...hes sick. or if he doesnt shed when hes supposed to theres something wrong with his skin or temps...temps dont change. weve been having a little difficulty keeping the temps up lately bc where those hurricane winds came through bringing rain its been kinda chilly here compaired to what its been...in the 100s. we were in the low 80s the other day and had to cut the AC off so the snakes could be warm. i was about to die...cleaning the house didnt help lol. so im hoping everything goes good in the next day or two :) thanks again :)

13. DarkMagician207

At least you guys are observant, definitely a good quality to have with reptiles. Helps keep ontop of things. :)

14. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

:) thanks...were pretty much the same with all our animals...no matter what they are :) wait until i get my iguana. im gonna be like hes got a stripe that wasnt there the other day...what could it be? lol. i think the iguana is gonna be the only animal that will bug me and stress me out to make sure it gets everything it needs but i know i can do it if i keep an eye open and keep notes of everything :) im gonna have a whole notebook for that ig. temps, humidity, what it eats, what it weighs, how much it eats, when it uses the bathroom. im gonna have every detail about that ig so i can see the signs before real damage could happen to it.

15. DarkMagician207

Lots of people keep records on their herps. I have a notebook with dates I feed my snakes, when they shed and when I clean their cages. Some people also add how much they weigh and other things they can think of so it's a good idea. Helpful reference material.

16. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

i think i need to tell my husband to do this so he can see that their schedules arent always 100%. do you think a kitchen scale would be good to weigh the snakes??? i have to get one anyways to weigh my guinea pigs :) i got 4 of them hehe :) gave them all a bath today and they did better than i thought they would :) they actually liked the bath...except one. i had to chase her down while she was destroying my kitchen and dishes ugh. but theyre all happy now and smell nice :) also made them a salad because they need some veggies so im practicing for the iguana im getting because they eat pretty much the same greens :) so not only can i buy for my iguana i can buy for my guinea pigs too.

sorry i know this thread is about ball pythons but i like talking about my other animals even though they arent herps :) lol

17. DarkMagician207

A kitchen scale would probably work, I don't see why not. And if you have to get one for the GPs, what the heck right? Although you may want to get one for the snakes and one for the piggies or just wash it really really good so it's not smelling like the guinea pigs to the snakes between uses. They might end up thinking it's dinner time lol.

Go ahead and tell your husband about it lol, it's definitely alot easier to see in writing and compare it to other times where the snakes may not have eaten or shed when they were "supposed" to. They have their own schedules in their little heads of theirs. :D My two adult corns eat every week to every 2 weeks and my adult rosy sometimes only eats once or twice a month when he's not on winter fast mode. So it varies and is easier to keep track of written down. Some people have those 3 ring binders with dividers for each animal too. With all the office supplies and things they have out there anymore, there are all sorts of creative ways to do it.

My pig likes getting dried off and brushed way more than he likes getting a bath, and definitely likes his food lol.

18. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

yea well he doesnt even pay attention to the guinea pigs and has never tried to bite us (well there was this one time but we had been playing with the mice we caught in out house after we moved in and he tried to bite the hubby) and just goes along with his day like they dont exist. but whenever he gets bigger....DIFFERENT STORY!

i told everybody that 4 guinea pigs were my limit BUT we went to get our ball python a rat today and they had this beautiful black guinea pig that has a white swirl on its left side and it has a mohawk that is highlighted with red tips (HOW COULD I WALK OUT OF THE STORE WITH IT???) gonna go back tomorrow and get its sister (all females) because my others attack it. i had this problem with the last two too. so i had to seperate the first 2 with the second 2. so were gonna go and get a 20 gallon aquarium until next week and were gonna buy the two new babies a big cage so they can be happy and NO MORE!!! i told my husband either...dont tell me your going or dont let me go in the store. lol theyre so pretty but getting expensive now lol. i have her here with me at work. thats the only way i could make sure and sleep at night knowing shes ok. okay enough blabbing :) i will definitely tell him and will look into more than likely TWO scales :)