This Disappears When Logged In

Aries-Rosy Boa That Refused to Eat...ATE! (:

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by ariesmommy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

we went and got a live pinkie as suggested by many of you. not even 2 seconds that we dangled it in front of his face it was in his mouth. He must have been starving. we ended up buying two mice to breed them so he will have live mice each time he eats and once he gets older maybe some of the babies will be big enough for him to eat :) THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY THAT MADE SUGGESTIONS IT HELPED MORE THAN YOULL EVER KNOW :) thanks from me, my husband and most of all Aries :)

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

That's good news! :) It is easier with pinkies and fuzzies for live since they they can't hurt your snake but once he moves up to mice you'll want to look into feeding frozen/thawed or even if he will eat frozen/thawed fuzzies and such even better. When I started out with my snakes, they all ate live pinkies and fuzzies until they moved up to mice then I started with fresh killed mice but soon after decided to go with frozen/thawed and they all made the transition easily. I hope yours will too.

Make sure you're feeding the appropriate size prey too. You'll want to be able to notice a lump after you feed. If you don't see it, the prey may be too small. My Rosy wasn't on pinkies very long at all when he was a baby. As said before, don't let the size of his head fool you. Mine is on large mice now and it always amazes me that his little head can fit that size in there.

Up the prey size if you don't notice a lump instead of feeding multiples (like 1 fuzzy instead of 2 pinkies, etc). It is easier for them to digest one than it is several.

Good luck, hopefully he will continue to do well for you. :)

PS - where are pictures?

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm glad he ate for you. :)
    To help your snake make the transition from live to F/T, you can feed it a live pinkie and after it swallows that, immediately offer a warmed up F/T pinkie or fuzzy. When he's in feeding mode, he probably won't care as long as it's warm enough and you wiggle it a little with some feeding tongs.
    If that works, try the warmed up F/T fuzzy first the next time you feed. If he refuses, try the live pinkie and then the F/T again...
    Eventually he'll make the transition.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad to hear that he ate for you! "Happy Dance":)

5. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Yea!!!, so glad your Aries finally ate for you:)

6. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Yay always a happy day when something goes right.

7. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

i dont know how to put the pictures on here. i tried but it showed up a white box with an "x" in it so i dont know what happened.

8. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

Thanks everybody :)

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Where are you trying to upload the pics from? I have an account with Photobucket and upload my photos on there then onto HC. You could try something like that. That's the only way I really know so if anyone else knows maybe they could help.

10. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

i finally figured it out :)