This Disappears When Logged In

Argentine Black and White Tegu As a Pet

Discussion in 'Tegu' started by LoveReptiles, May 23, 2014.

1. LoveReptiles

LoveReptiles Active Member

I'm considering an Argentine Black and White Tegu as a pet in the near future. I am not rushing into this decision. I just want to learn as much as possible about them. It would also be very helpful if you shared your own experiences with them.
    You can also ask me questions if you like. I think this would be helpful.
    Tell me about light fixtures and bulbs, as well as wattage.
    Heat inside enclosure?
    Humidity? I thought it was 75-100%
    Male vs. Female.
    What are pros and cons? Besides being costly and requiring lots of care, I know this.
    I will be very opened minded with all replies.

2. LoveReptiles

LoveReptiles Active Member

When I say near future, I'm talking about within the next three years.

3. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

The light fixtures you will need have to be a UV bulb being as UV light is essential to Tegu's survival, this will act as your basking light. I'm not too sure on the wattage but a good one is Zoo Med’s PowerSun or Repti-sun 7.5. Basking area should be above 100, I'd keep it at 100-105 and the cooler side any where between 75-80, 80 is a good spot to keep it at. Humidity should be 75-90 plus a water bowl big enough for the tegu to soak in. As for male v female the only thing that i can think of is that the female may get a bit bigger than the male. There are many pros to these reptiles, too many to list but I'm going to go over the cons because they are a little less obvious. Tegus obviously get large and once they reach adulthood (any where from 3-5 feet) they will need a large cage (8Lx4Wx3H). In addition, if not handled nicely and/or regularly they may turn snappy and mean, just as any other animal would. Also keep in mind that these creatures live up to 10 years so make sure if you're moving or whatever, you know you can take care of your beast. Lastly they have a large diet that may be troubling to fulfill. Okay thats all I got, hope it helped.