This Disappears When Logged In

Are the Bugs Okay

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by mommy32b, Aug 1, 2009.

1. mommy32b

mommy32b Active Member

well I mentioned it once before but my chubby frogs habitat is crawling. these little bugs are worrying me they are just tiny and kind of silver colered they are on him and his substrate. I have looked it up but cannot figure out exactly what they are. Does anyone know what mites look like? I am really hoping that they are not mites. From wht I have read they are a pain to get rid of.

2. chadhar

chadhar Member

Re: Are the Bugs Okay?

pretty much any bug is bad but if I were you I would get on the net and start looking at all amphibian sites that might have a pic or describe the bugs or just catch one and take it to a vet to tell ya what it is wish you the best luck.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I get them in my tank too. I'm not sure where they come from, but i have a feeling its from crickets and they pass through the digestive system. Usually they just crawl around on poop and I scoop them out when I scoop poop from my whites tank. you may want to dump your substrate and start over. They won't harm your frog, but they are annoying.

4. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

They may be from your substrate too. If you are using organic soil, are you baking or freezing it first? I just had to clean out my tomato frog's enclosure due to a population of cricket babies. Then replaced it all again a day later due to the "need" to increase the size of the enclosure (she can be very persuasive). It is a small price to pay to be certain they are as safe as you can possibly make them. Wash anything that is part of the enclosure too! Krim's ceramic toadstools, teacup, plants, and rocks all got a good wash, twice ;).

5. mommy32b

mommy32b Active Member

thanx guys yeah I'm not quite sure what to wash the stuff with so I did empty the whole tank out and scrubbed everything with a brush and really hot water replace the substrate with new stuff. I am using the bed a best stuff. so I will just keep my eyes on the lookout for them hopefully I got rid of them!!

6. schlegelbagel

They'll be back, but hopefully it won't be in such an annoying amount.

7. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

You make it sound like everyone has these bugs/problem. I don't have any bugs at all in my tank, other than the ones I put in myself. I used to get crickets from one online store, they always had odd black bugs in them, once I switched to another company however, they all vanished. Of course, I never put those extra bugs with my frogs. I do catch sow/pill bugs and worms, more so for the upkeep of the terrarium, though the frogs sometimes catch them anyway.

If you can't get the bugs out and don't want to change the whole tank, follow this link! http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate-terrarium-pests-with-co2

8. schlegelbagel

No, what she has are little white bugs. I get them once in a while. Normally they run their course and go away over time. They really like coconut fiber, so if you don't have coconut fiber, you may not actually get them.

9. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

Who is the "no" to? I didn't name any bugs...

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

She was referring to the fact that it wouldn't be the "odd black bugs" you mentioned.

11. schlegelbagel

Thanks, Shell got it right. Not black bugs.

12. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

I was just saying that the bugs can come from the feeder bug supplier, not just the dirt, plants and such.

13. jclee

jclee Active Member

I would guess that the "odd black bugs" are the beetles that mealworms become if they're allowed to pupate. Large-scale feeder companies would have a few of everything scooting around the place, and it would be pretty easy for one species to find its way into the breeding bin of another species.

With small, inoffensive species like the white ones we're talking about here, I only begin to worry when they're on my pets. If they're just kicking around the tank, and I know they're not generally harmful to the animals, I don't worry. But I think mommy32b was right to break the tank down and clean up, since they were swarming the pets.

14. schlegelbagel

This is how good the bugs are in my WTF tank. I have those little white bugs in the substrate, plus I get these really small centipede looking things. I was told they come from the crickets somehow.

Anyway, there was a chunk of poop on the floor Friday morning, by Sunday it was gone. Nice self cleaning tank.