This Disappears When Logged In

Are Sulcatas Up for Adoption?

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by model700, Jan 21, 2013.

1. model700

model700 Well-Known Member

i know that these tortoises are over bred and everyone gets them as babies th gives them away when they are older. is there any place i can give some a home near the los angeles area?

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Hello, in a recent thread of yours you were trying to find a way to pay for your reptiles food since your parents won't do it anymore. How do you plan on feeding a 100 pound tortise on 12 dollars a week after you've gotten food for your other pets?

Also in another post you said you have a savannah monitor, how are you feeding him on 12 dollars a week if you don't mind me asking, since you can't breed roaches it gets really expensive.

3. model700

i get pellet food from mazuri for my torts and i diddnt include that in my 12 dollars a week cuz it lasts a while. and my savannah gets a ground turkey and egg mix and rodents when my snake doesnt eat them. ground turkey only costs like 2-3 dollars a week

4. categoryfour

categoryfour Well-Known Member

Im no expert but I don't think ground turkey is on a savannah monitors list of foods. They eat a lot of inverts and whole prey. Not ground up bird.

5. model700

yeah ground turkey is good for them. my sav has been eating the turkey-egg-calcium vitamins for like 4 years and hes healthy.

6. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

my old roomie has 2, both adopted from different hatchings, same age(1 yr 1 month this week) they went from pingpong to nearly soccer ball(on the large one), the small one is a bit bigger than a soft ball.

he spends a fair bit($10-$20/week) on vegies, mazuri, hay, and reptomin pellets.

also the poops are huge and smelly, think beagle dog sized.

7. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

False. I'm sure if that's all he's been eating for four years and isn't in a proper sized enclosure he's not really "healthy" if it's eating and still alive that doesn't mean it's healthy.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have two sulcatas as well both are a year and eat soo much food it isn't funny. I spend about $60 a month just on the veggies, hay, and other supplements they need. Also mine aren't that big. One is the size of a soft ball the other is the size of a baseball. And when they are older and full sized what would you do then?
    I think you should wait on the large tortoises until you have a house wih a yard of your own. Your still young and will likely move into an apartment for a decade or so when in your twenties and sulcatas just aren't a good apartment pet.