This Disappears When Logged In

Are My Tadpoles Stunted?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Joy81, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

I have two bullfrog tadpoles, they have there back legs, but they're really tiny, and useless looking. They live in a 10 gallon tank, with water filtration, and aeration. They have a raised area where the water is very shallow, and fake aquatic plants to hide in. I bought tadpole food, but they wouldn't eat it, so now they are back on tropical fish food. They seem active and healthy, they eat very well, twice a day. My Brother found them in a pond and had them for some time, they haven't grown much since he found them. I have raised this kind of tadpoles before with no problems, but these guys look so sad. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'd ditch the airation. Its pretty pointless and probably annoys them. Filtration should be enough.

3. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

That's no problem, I will turn it off. Any idea on why they are not growing?

4. schlegelbagel

How long have they had their legs? Time is a relevant thing.

5. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

I will have to ask my brother, he is the one who found them. I know he had them in a fish bowl for a while. When they sprouted their back legs, he thought that he wouldnt be able to accommodate them when the emerged from the water. I have a bunch of tanks, so I offered to take them, but I think he had them for at least a few months.

6. schlegelbagel

That's strange. There might be something wrong with that batch. Its possible. Are you using water de-chlorinated water?

They would have been fine in the fish bowl. All they need is a rock or log to crawl out onto. Although moving them shouldn't have caused a problem either. What's the water temp?

7. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

The water is declorinated, I"ll have to check the temp when I get home, I'm at work now, lol. What is the Ideal temp do you think?

8. schlegelbagel

Room temp is fine (between 68 and 78 or so).

I'm at a loss if its been a few months since they have had legs and no further development. Could you find someone with a water garden and collect some water lettuce or other plant life? Even a scrap of spinach.

9. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

I can bring them some spinach, that's no problem. Do you think the problem might be nutritional? What will happen if they don't develop any further? Will they stay tadpoles, or will they die?

10. schlegelbagel

If it's a bad batch, they'll die. It might be nutritional, but I doubt it. Try some leaf munchies for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.