This Disappears When Logged In

Are Crested Geckos Easy To Care For?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by AnimalLover46, Jan 16, 2016.

1. AnimalLover46

AnimalLover46 Member

Hey guys. I just got back from a trip to Africa (I have family that are missionaries there that we were visiting). It was such an amazing trip! While we were there, we went on a safari. There were these cutest little geckos that would visit my cabin/hut every night! Some were only a couple of centimeters long, and there was one that was a good foot that would visit my bathroom every night. It made me want a gecko now more than ever! (I almost considered taking one home, but that would be illegal....) Anyways, I'm still pretty sure that my parents won't let me get a leopard gecko, since they eat live food. (I haven't brought it up for about 2 months now- I don't want to nag) I mean, I still want one, but I'm looking into some other options as well. I've briefly considered getting a Crestie before, but now I'm seriously looking into it. I found some adorable ones with some pretty cool morphs. I know that they can mainly be kept on special crestie pre-made foods with supplements of fruit and what not. Of course I would get vitamins and everything else. It's not the food that I'm worried about. I've heard that their cages need to be misted down quite a bit and that they lick the water off of the walls, leaves, branches, etc. Would they actually drink out of a water dish if I supplied one? And how large should their cage be? I have a 10 gal right now- could I keep the baby in there and, when it gets larger, I will get at least a 20 gal. I would probably get something that's taller rather than longer. And I know I'll have to get a screen since cresties can actually climb. Any other things I should know about them? Are they smelly, loud, etc. Thanks for the help once again!

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Crested geckos are extremely easy to care for and among the best beginner reptiles.

Crested Gecko | Reptile Forums - Information

On the off chance you don't know, the geckos you saw in Africa weren't cresties since they're native to a Pacific Island. They may drink out of a water dish but you should still mist the cage walls, if only to bump the humidity. I've learned that with reptiles that won't drink standing water if you direct a gentle stream of water onto their face with a spray bottle or something they'll drink from that. A 20 gallon is a good size for an adult. Provided the cage isn't allowed to get filthy they don't smell, and if you make a bioactive enclosure you'll hardly ever have to clean it. I think they produce a few chirps and such but nothing that will bother anyone.

OK_PLAY3R and Ian-V like this.