This Disappears When Logged In

Aquarium Silicone Sealant Qiestion

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Khronik, May 24, 2014.

1. Khronik

Khronik Active Member

Last night I used 100% aquarium silicone(purchased from an aquarium store) to seal a piece of acrylic in a tank to use for a pond in our CWD enclosure.

Right now the enclosure is on our back patio air drying(current day time temps are around 85-100°F.
    I was very generous with the amount of silicone used, it is a very thick bead to not only seal the acrylic from leaks but also act as an adhesive to hold it in place.

The tube says to let cure for 48 hours, I plan to give it at least 72 hours. The silicone is already hard but the fumes are still somewhat strong.

Will the heat and lack of humidity here in phoenix cause the silicone to cure faster than 48 hours? Also, at what time should I leak test it?

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

i would give it the full 48 hours, you can never be too safe, but id leak test it when the 48 hours are up....

3. Khronik

Khronik Active Member

Sounds good. I'll leak test after 48 hours and if all is good I'll give it another 24 hours to be extra safe regarding the fumes.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The surface may be hard but with the extra thickness it would take longer.
    Also, silicone does not adhere well to acrylic. It does extremely well to glass but glass is not as smooth as acrylic so there's more to grab.
    You might want to check that out when dry.

5. Khronik

Khronik Active Member

to be honest the acrlyic felt somewhat rough but i did cut two sides of it to make it fit so those sides were roughened up.
    also roughened the edges up a bit.