This Disappears When Logged In

Aquarium Bottom

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by northcountry, Nov 19, 2012.

1. northcountry

northcountry Elite Member

My large water dragon enclosure will have a 55 gallon tank for a swim area and i dont want to use gravel to keep it easy to clean. I need to find something flat that i can drill holes in, to stick fake plants in. Every thing i can think of floats, any ideas

2. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

styrophome with water proof glue?

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What about securing to a few large rocks?

4. northcountry

I was hoping to keep it light for easy removal

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Buy 100% silicon, river rocks and silicon the rocks to the plants. Then keep the bottom bare, it will be much easier to keeep clean :)

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It sounds like you wanted to make a false floor and doing that will allow gunk to get under it. Another option is to buy those large hollow aquarium logs and secure the plants to them. Something like this: Petco Large Tree Log Aquatic Décor at PETCO

7. northcountry

I was thinking maybe that egg crate stuff people use for false bottom

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Eggcrate? The plastic kind like this: image.jpg ? It could work but I don't know if it would sink.

9. northcountry

Ya the plastic kind, i could weight it down with some rocks. I just like having the natural look

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I too like things to look "natural", but the main consideration should always be the ease of keeping things clean. Over the years I`ve found the best way is to just have the water and nothing else, because as already mentioned, "furniture" traps waste. The dragon won`t mind in the slightest, in fact he/she will probably thank you kindly for the continual supply of sparklingly fresh bathing/drinking water! ;)

11. northcountry

I was hoping i could have both the natural look and easy cleaning. I was hoping just to do a drop in piece so i could just pop it out every other day to clean it

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Are you going to have a filter?
    If your going to remove it all together for cleaning then the egg crate would be fine.

13. northcountry

I have a canister filter rated for 300 gallons.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Then you won't have an issue with water clarity even if some waste gets stuck in the grate as long as you change the water frequently.
    The only problem that I cans we you might have is algae. After awhile it builds up on stuff and needs to be scrubbed off. The grate would make it hard to clean it off unless you use a toothbrush or harsh chemicals.