This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone Post Pictures of Their Alligator Lizards?

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by SpidaFly, Apr 30, 2012.

1. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

I notice this part of the forum is pretty slow. Anyone there? :) Can you post photos of your Alligator Lizard?

I remember when I was a very young, I found a Northern Alligator Lizard being attacked by a cat. I chased the cat off and caught the lizard and put it in an old fish tank my mom had, and put some paper towels and sticks and leaves in with it. Of course when I was that young (I think I was 8 or 9) there was no internet, so I ended up reading books about other kinds of reptiles that mentioned UVB so I begged my mom to buy me a UVB lamp for the lizard which I had named "Alice" by that point. I really had no idea what I was doing unfortunately, so I just caught bugs that I found around and gave them to the reptile. I'm sure my husbandry was horrid, but unfortunately I was just some kid who rescued a lizard and my mom didn't know any better so there you go. I washed the wound (fortunately it was on her tail) routinely even though it didn't like it and for the most part left her alone. Alice survived and recovered and my mom made me release her into the nearby woods when the summer came around again.

Unfortunately what sounds to the uninitiated like a cute story about a kid who found a lizard is probably pretty tragic to those of us who actually try to understand and keep our reptiles optimally. But what it did was set me on the path - the herp bug bit! My parents bought a Chinese water dragon, and while I now know that there were husbandry errors galore (something I try not to hate myself for, after all I was still a kid and wasn't really in charge) I loved that animal and she taught me a respect for our endothermic friends. While I didn't keep herps myself until recently (life situation didn't allow it), I always remember Alice and I hope "she" ended up doing well :)

Anyway... due to recent more scientific interest in Northern Alligator Lizards, I've been thinking about trying to track down a breeder, but I was looking for captive specimen photos and don't see any here, so... please post! :)

2. Tucker

Tucker Member

This is a guy I caught. I live in Nor Cal, and I caught him as a baby. I've got him in a 10 gallon tank with a UVB light and heat light (75w) which are both on a timer.

Attached Files:

Mamas17 likes this.
  3. Mamas17

Mamas17 New Member

IMG_0081.JPG This is Mamas, she's 6 months old. A student and her father, brought her into our class and she's the class pet. This girl has stole my heart.... she has her whole setup in a 10 gallon tank, UVB light and heat pad... but before I bought all that I noticed she had a dry part on her tail, so I took her to the reptile store and was told she had poor circulation at the end. The end with the bad circulation is about 1 1/2 inches, I was told I'm going to have to cut it, right above the dried part, but I'm not sure how to do that? IMG_0081.JPG

4. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

Here's alligator lizard eggs

Attached Files: