This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone Know Where To Obtain A Giant South American Marine Toad?

Discussion in 'Toads' started by mdeford09, Jun 12, 2015.

1. mdeford09

mdeford09 Well-Known Member

I ordered from from Backwater Reptiles and it was a disaster.... The more I look at this girl, I am 99% certain she is a normal ol cane/marine toad.

The only other places I see are reptile city and First Choice Reptiles... Both have the same issues that backwater had (lots of bad bad reviews) so I don't want to chance it.

Anyone know of any other, more reliable sources?

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Are you talking about Blomberg's Toad? Bufo blombergi?
    I'm not aware of any other toad with a "Marine" other than Bufo marinus

3. mdeford09

Nope. I am refering to Rhinella Marinas (formerly bufo marinas)... The South American Giant Marine Toad is basically a giant Cane Toad.

While scientifically they are considered the same animal, most will tell you they are definitely different. Most cane toad never reach past 6" in length while the South American Giant Marine Toad (females) regularly exceed 8-9" in length snout to vent. They also have MUCH larger parotid glands than your normal AU or FL cane toad.

Luckily, it looks like Florida Herps have a few they are willing to part with. Just waiting to find out their sizes :)

4. mdeford09

look who arrived

wafPcpT.jpg

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Much better looking :)

6. mdeford09

Yep! Agreed!!.... I am going to do a review of their order here soon. Just been super busy.

They were, litereally, night and day difference to deal with... I called them, they picked up, I explained what I was after and they said they got em and said they will let me know more details by email or phone (which ever I wanted)... later, they sent me the info, I paid and BAM!

10000000x better