This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone Heard of a Budget's Frog?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by fire2225ems, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Was cruising Craigslist and came across a listing for someone wanting to rehome their Budget's Frog. Apparently also known as the Freddy Crugar Frog? Anyone know anything about these? I did a quick google search and really didn't come up with much information, but did come across a video, and it was pretty freaky lookin...

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Its probably the same one Liz found on Thursday, lol. I have heard of them only from her but never seen one.

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Never heard of these what web site was the video on; I'm kinda curious.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Big fat head, little bitty arms. Never heard of them before though.

5. fire2225ems

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, I was getting bored wondering if he was going to eat it or not. Then BAM!

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Aww man! If I were back in MD I'd have snatched that up in a second, especially if it's free :D

Try searching with an extra "T" in the name, it actually has two. Most Budgett's frogs in captivity are Lepidobatrachus laevis, but there are two other species in the genus. All go by the name "Budgett's frog", or locally as "escuerzo".

This species would do best with a heavily planted 1/3 land/water habitat, or something close to that. They're from shallow marshes and savannas in South America, but spend the winter hibernating in deep burrows. Imagine kind of a flooded grassland as their habitat, or a relatively dry grassland with water available.

Supposedly the hibernation is pretty important, but I don't know what types of complications you'd get if you didn't do it. They spend most of their time in the shallow water, but the land area would be a good option should the frog decide to use it, and would allow for burrowing should the frog decide to hibernate. I doubt this particular frog ever has though, but I'd make the substrate deep should you want to let him.

Other than a more aquatic habitat, they're kind of like horned frogs in their general shape and diet. And in the fact that they can bite :p If your house gets cold you may want to heat the water to keep it in the mid 70's.

8. fire2225ems

thanks for the info, i'm not gonna end up with it, just thought it was interesting...

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm a sucker for free herps, rescues, and uncommon herps. It's probably a good thing I'm not there, I wouldn't be able to resist :p

10. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

That thing is so cool!!! It kinda looks like a less pretty and much creepier pac man frog. I think I've seen one of these before, but I'm not for sure.

11. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

We had them in the Frog Exhibit in Baltimore (p.s. coolest floating exhibit ever), they are basically pond rocks. It was there for a week before I realized it was on display. Very cool critters if you like sedentary unique amphibians.

12. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Repilica magizine did a big artical on them about 4 months back. Thier also called Choco arrowhead frogs, I didn't know before they had a toxin but I guess they do.

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I've never heard that name applied to them before. The Choco are a South American tribe, and usually "Choco arrowhead frog" would refer to dart frogs that they often used. I guess technically the term could apply to any frog they used really. I'm not saying the name's never applied to Budgett's frogs. Just that it would be a really uncommon name for them and that it wouldn't refer exclusively to this species. Kind of how the name "escuerzo" also applies to many other species down there, including horned frogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.