This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone Have Experience with Foam???

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by gapeachkatie, Jun 15, 2010.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I was thinking of making a couple of my own decorations, using either expanding foam in a mold, or making a couple of arches using styrofoam, does anyone have experience with that? If so, is there a specific glue or maybe a coating i need to use that wont harm my FBTs?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have used the expanding foam (good luck with a mold, I have not tried it yet.)

You can coat it with Silicone - just make sure it is 100% silicone, and NOT the mildew/mold resistant (the additives in that can leach into the water). You can also press things into the silicone like coco-fiber, sand, pebbles, sticks, etc to give a more natural look if that is your aim.

Is this foam going to be in the water? Buoyancy could provide some interesting challenges.

3. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

No experience with making stuff with foam, but I have experience to draw on here from when I upgraded my ACFs' tank. Though, I was using one of those polyurthane burrows, the principal should be the same.

The trick is pushing it lower in the water to absorb AND using other decor to wedge it in place. In my case, I was also able to put one hide on top of it, but that wouldn't be true of all foam decor.

4. gapeachkatie

I'm planning on making ramps and arches for the land part of my tank. I just can't see spending 40 dollars on something that i can make, you know? I already have stacking stones with rounded off edges for using in the water area, i just wanted to make a ledge in the land area for my little guys to climb around on with small hide aways formed into it.

I have experience with making foam forms, but I know making something that will last and be safer for my toads will be a bit more tricky. :-/

5. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

Well if you are going to try the foam forms, i would get low expansion great stuff (small cracks and gaps) . I used greatstuff for the backing of my enclosure and it has held up great. If you are trying to make a ramp out of the water, you may want to think about adding some rocks or stones to the foam while setting up in the mold to stop it from floating.

6. gapeachkatie

here's my foam project. i decided to make just a small rock cliff. only have two pics of the progress.

[​IMG]

I used water proof craft foam and a basic knife to cut it slanted. Also used aquarium silicone that you can find at pet stores to piece it together and attach the rocks...

[​IMG]

I used the same silicone to fill in gaps and to make it look kind of like water is seeping out of it, then after it set for 24 hours, used a hard bristle paint brush to put two coats(the last of a second tube) of silicone on the bottom and sides of the foam to make sure the water wouldnt penetrate it and possibly cause some future mold issues.

Now, Gump climbs ontop of the rocks and waits for Benny or Clyde to get close and will jump ontop of them. It's pretty halarious and she has been named Queen of the Cliff now. :)

7. VHPlac

VHPlac Member

I use Styrofoam all the time! Glued together with normal white glue, toothpicks to keep the pieces in place and then I coat it with plaster and/or air dry clay from Crayola. Acrylic Paint and a coat or two with ModPodge. It works fine for our Cal. King, since I can clean it with a damp cloth.
    Just finished a hide for my sons Boa. Since it is humid in her cage, I used marine Polyurethane. Now I just have to wait for a while till it is aired out and the smell from the clear coat is all gone.
    It is almost the same design as our Cal. Kings hide, only BIGGER!

DSC05358.jpg
    DSC05361.jpg
    DSC05360.jpg

This used to be some styrofoam packaging from a coffee maker and an old plastic cup!

Attached Files:

8. KyRose91

KyRose91 New Member

WOW VHPlac! You certainly are talented! :)

9. rajanshah

rajanshah New Member

@gapeachkatie

This concept is really massive. Water proof foam can help us to make it more sharp for long time. This is really good idea for outdoor one. I want to do little bit tricky with my office chairs. Right now, I have 5 office chairs & want to integrate with mosaic. What you suggest about it? Will it possible with foam or not?