This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone from Maryland?

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by mldolan, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm in Harford county!!! You must hike off Belair road near Perry Hall. I'm just starting to explore the area around Jeruselum mill. And I'm getting into the Hereford area of Gunpowder, but my little sports car doesn't like to be going down those roads there...

The only snakes i have seen are garter snakes, and I saw a pair of copperheads mating, but that was it. I'm mostly looking for frogs. :)

2. 0Michael0

0Michael0 Member

If you like frogs, you should visit Jug Bay. There are thousands of Green Tree Frogs. You will love it. It's only an hours drive from you. Also, if you like salamanders, they have many Marble Salamanders.

3. mldolan

mldolan Active Member

ooooh copperheads mating gotta find the nest! baby copperheads are like candy to my kingsnake. :)

4. schlegelbagel

Been there!!! They are all over the reeds. Toads everywhere you walk too.

If you see a silver sports car in the Belair Road lot of Gunpowder with the tag FSTFROG, that's me!

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

LOL, that plate really shouldn't surprise me :p

6. schlegelbagel

I wanted RIBBIT but it was taken :(

7. 0Michael0

0Michael0 Member

Where have you seen copperheads in gunpowder? I've gone a bit crazy looking for them. I have found tons of queen snakes, which are listed as a threatened species, but the "common" copperhead as eluded me. I can't understand it.

8. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

You can find copperheads in the northern part of Harford County in farm areas. I used to find them around the old barns, just ask one of the farmers, they would usually be more than happy to let you poke around the unused barns. My family has one in Forest Hill, and our neighbors were the former county executive Harkin family.

9. schlegelbagel

I have only seen them once and that was last year. If you park at the belair road section of gunpowder, take the trail to the east (towards 95). Cross the first stream crossing (you might get wet) and keep walking. Just before Pot Rocks there are a bunch of rock piles on the left hand side. They were in there.

I want to say when I saw them last year, it was late April early May.

10. 0Michael0

0Michael0 Member

Thanks. I will search on Saturday. One question though. What are Pot Rocks? I'm not entirely familiar with that section of Gunpowder, despite the fact that I live less than two minutes from there. My most favorite part is the Hammerman section. There are lots of herp species to be found there.

11. schlegelbagel

I have no idea where the hammerman section is!

When you pull into the parking lot, there is a trail map on a wooden sign. It will list where pot rocks is. What are they? A really cool set of rocks in the middle of gunpowder river that have been carved out by the water. Smooth with lots of "pots" carved out.

12. 0Michael0

0Michael0 Member

You must go to the Hammerman area of Gunpowder!!! It is so very different from the rest of the park. It's mostly pine forests with fields and wetlands. What's most interesting about this place, is its overabundance of certain species. Eastern worm snakes, for instance. They are everywhere. Also, lots of five-lined skinks. I'm especially fond of it because it's the only place I've ever seen a rough green snake.

Anyway, here's how to find it. Take Route 40 towards white marsh. Take a left on Ebenezer Rd. where there is a Double T Diner. After two or three miles you'll see the sign.

13. schlegelbagel

Ok, I'll check it out. I always see signs for it, but never go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.