This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone feed chicks/chickens? How do they compare to mice/rats/guinea pigs?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by CTU2fan, Feb 25, 2015.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Currently I'm feeding rats, I recently placed a rodent pro order and included some appropriate sized guinea pigs since they're on sale. But I'm wondering about feeding chickens. Specifically is there any benefit to varying my snakes' diet with chickens along with the rodents? Are they comparable size-wise, for example if I'm feeding 100g rats would I be looking for around 100g chickens? Currently I'm feeding an adult boa (currently unsure if he's a BCI or BCC - separate issue) and a juvi retic.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

One thing about feeding chickens. It makes the stools very loose and smelly.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That might be enough to keep me away from them. Once in a pinch I fed my savannah monitor a can of dog food, and the result took "loose stool" to a whole other level. Never ever again. So if chickens will lead me to anything approaching that I'll stick with rodents, with some insects and fish/seafood for the lizards.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Really depends on the snake. My JCP takes chickens and quail with no change to his stools, but most Carpets in general do take birds as wild prey with some regularity, being semi-arboreal as they are - so that is a part of their natural diet.

Though I have seen a few pictures of boa constrictors eating parrots, I am not sure this occurs with any regularity, as the heavy-bodied adults, though capable of climbing, tend to do so only rarely compared to an arboreal or semi-arboreal snake like a JCP or (other members of the genus Morelia.)

That said, I have never even offered it to my common/redtail boas - though I did offer some to my BRB, she refused to eat it.

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Hmm that makes sense, that the arboreal species aren't effected that way. But I'm currently only feeding terrestrials, so I think I'll stay away from birds at least for now.