This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone Familiar with This Site?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Dragoness, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I recieve priorty USPS shipments all the time. They just leaved it on the porch.

2. jono

jono Elite Member

ok! so seems like everyone agrees that it will be left at the doorstep. now we just sit and wait! lol

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yikes, I live in an apartment - they don't leave stuff at our door - if they can't fit it in the mailbox, then they leave it at the front office. I might have to make Grey babysit the mail kiosk that day, lol. My landlords really don't need to know about the roaches, though I can always hope they are staying quiet and are not conspicuously labeled. They aren't like crickets always running around and making noise.

If questions are asked, I could always say it's something for work, and get away with it. they all know where I work.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My roaches came today, alive and well. I set them up in their home already.

Thankfully, they were not labeled as anything roachy (except the return address saying "Blaberus.com") so there was nothing to give them away to the landlords. No noise, no smell, no "live cargo" or anything like that.

My 100ct mixed lot came with 3 huge adults, and about a dozen large sub-adults, and the rest nymphs, so I should have at least some action going on here soon. They were in a plastic tub inside a box, so I didn't have to worry about any getting out when I opened the box.

The communication may have been a hassle, but everything else was okay.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What? You mean that everyone doesn't know what a blaberus is?;)

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Thankfully, the ladies in the front office most likely don't.

I'm excited - I can't wait to have baby roaches!

(strange, because I certainly don't want baby humans - I'd rather have roaches than humans, lol.)

7. jono

jono Elite Member

i got mine today too! very exciting! and not even a knock at the door, they stuffed em in my mailbox! :eek: lol but no harm done so its no biggie. now i have to warm these lil bad boys up. ive got a human heating pad under the serilite bin for now, but its got a 2 hour auto off feature. darn safety features...
    anyone have any advice on heating them? i couldnt find any heating pads that didnt have the auto off feature.. and i really dont want to run a che over them unless its my only option. help?

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

When I heat mine I use an uth attached to an old picture frame glass and then raise the tub 1/2 inch above that. It usually keeps the temps around 90+

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I just went out to get human heating pad for my roaches, and all the ones at wal*mart had the safety shutoff. I had to hit CVS to find one that didn't have that feature. Of all the pads CVS had, only 2 did not have the auto-off feature (how annoying!)

I know a lot of people who have the same problem, even though the mat says not to be used on animals or children (I love how they put those two together) I know a lot of people who use them for snakes, cats, bunnies, roaches, and just about any other type of animal out there.

10. jono

jono Elite Member

aha ill have to head to cvs then and take my "fire safe" heating pad back. lol. do you think these things are safe to leave on 24/7? my house has been getting fridgid cold at night since my roommate doesnt seem to believe in using the heater. its been down as low as 66!

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

As far as I know it would be just as safe as having an uth on 24/7

12. jono

jono Elite Member

that makes sense. ill give it a shot.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I would think the human heating pads are actually safer because they were intended for use on humans. Some of the reptile under tank stuff is totally unregulated, and can get very hot.

We use the human heating pads for all the snake tanks at work (8 of them, plus some of the inverts too) - and some of them have been running nonstop for about 5 years now, and so far, the worst problem we have had is them just dying and needing replaced. I think in 5 years, 2 have been replaced.

14. jono

jono Elite Member

aha thats good to hear. i found one that didnt have the 2 hour shut off so i picked it up. (at CVS also) its been running for a lil over 12 hours now and seems ok. i dont have my digital thermometer at home though so ive yet to check the actual temps..
    now riddle me this: will something only feel hot/warm to the touch to us if it is above our body temp? ive been trying to "feel" to see if the roach bin is warm enough but really i cant tell.. from what ive read the roaches will thrive best around 90-95* F. that is just below our body temp so it wouldnt really feel warm to me, would it? hope im making sense of this.. lol

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I don't think you would "feel" the heat. But I also know that when I had heat to my roaches there were a few days that it was REALLY hot here and their enclosure got up to 106 for those days and they were just fine. So, they should be ok until you get your thermometer. Just make sure they have good humidity (what I did is run a humidifier next to the enclosure with the lid off for 15 minutes or so once or twice a day and that would keep the humidity up around 60)

16. jono

jono Elite Member

humidity isnt something i put much thought into. i just figured having a few water pillows in the bin would do the trick. i do have a digital humidistat (i think thats what theyre called, right?) as well. but again, its at my old house so ill have to wait til the weekend to pick it up. i dont have access to a humidifier nor do i really want to spend the money on one.. if my humidity isnt high enough should i just add more water pillows? i think just misting the bin would be a good invite for mold, especially if the egg crates get too damp and it goes unnoticed.

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

As long as your humidity is 40+ you should be ok. They need the humidity to be able to molt. I'm not sure what a water pillow is but I have a big lid full of water crystals and when I had heat on them the crystals didn't create enough humidity.
    Most of the care sheets I have read say to mist the enclosure sides, personally I would think as you do about the mold issue. You could try to put small glass jar of water where no roaches could fall into it (away from the egg flats) but over the heat. As the water warms up and evaporates it should increase the humidity.

18. jono

jono Elite Member

water pillows are just pretty much water crystals/gels that are inside of a "case", so when you hydrate them it looks like a pillow. one side is smooth and no moisture can seep out from it and the other side is porus which is where the insects suck the moisture from. theyre simple and reusable.
    anywho the idea for placing a jar of water is a good idea. although clumsy me would have to remember that there is an open container of water in there, or else i might end up with some drowned roaches.

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

you could always see how a lid with a bunch of small holes in it does for keeping the humidity up. That way if you do knock it over you would only get some water out instead of all of it. Even if you made the whole lid little 1/16th inch holes way less water would get out.

20. jono

jono Elite Member

theres a good idea i didnt even think of that. i think ill give that a try.