This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone Familiar with This Site?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Dragoness, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have read some good reviews about Blaberus Home Page and the prices are decent.

Anyone use them? I e-mailed the owner waiting to see what, if anything, he could ship to Florida. Waiting to hear back.

My bosses said the ban on breeding was lifted, but lets just say I don't consider them to be credible... and I have not myself seen any literature or headlines stating as much.

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

When I was researching dubias I looked at that site. I personally thought their prices were kind of high for dubias, most of the other site I looked at had lower prices. But, if you want to have some display roaches (domino roaches and others) they have more species than I've seen at any other site.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The only roaches I can get here are Discoids - everything else is illegal, and many places simply won't ship...

4. jono

jono Elite Member

i know this thread is a few weeks old but i have a concern. dragoness have you ordered anything from him yet? if so did he give you any kind of shipping confirmation? i emailed back and forth with this guy 6 or 7 times last week and he was very friendly and quick to reply and he answered all of my questions. so i finally placed my order and whoops.. i forgot to add a heating pad thing to my order, just in case. i also wanted to add a few egg flats to my order which i forgot about as well. so as soon as i realised this (within hours of placing the order) i emailed him and asked if there was any way he could throw them in with that same order and just send me a pay pal invoice.. or something along those lines. i just wanted to make sure those items were shipped at the same time along with the discoids so i get them at the same time and dont have to pay more shipping. but no response, and its been since thursday, soo about 5 days now? this kind of bothers me because last week when i was a potential customer he seemed eager to answer my questions and was very quick to reply to all of my emails.. but now ive placed my order and the cash is in his pocket, and suddenly he cant reply to my email? even if the answer was "sorry, no you have to order them seperately" i would at least appreciate a reply. and last week he told me he only ships on mondays which i thought was a bit odd. but regardless i ordered them thursday evening and was expecting some kind of confirmation email when they were shipped, but i got nothing at all. so now im not really sure if i should be keeping an eye out for the delivery or not. hopefully someone will come along and tell me to stop worrying and that this guy is a pleasure to do business with and i just caught him on a busy week.

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I don't know about this guy as I've never ordered from him. But, I do know that only shipping on monday is what most roach sites do. They ship USPS which takes 2-3 days so in order to make sure you get them before the weekend they only ship on mondays. So, yes, I would look for yours around thursday.

6. jono

jono Elite Member

Ok well that makes me feel a bit better. But im still kind of worried/confused because he never replied to my last email. I dony know what kind of temps the discoids can tolerate but i know it has been a bit chilly lately. I really wanted to get that heat pack in there just in case.

7. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

it says right on the home page that he wont ship to florida

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Things change ;)

I'm not sure why he wouldn't reply, Maybe as you said "he has your money now".
    When I was researching roaches and looked thru his site I wasn't very impressed personally, altho he did have the largest variety I felt his prices were to high (for the dubias I was looking for and for some of the other roaches as well)
    I have had my dubias down to 65 degrees and have had no problems with them, and, when I had my colony of B. lateralis (red racers, rusty reds) I would put them into the fridge for 5-10 minutes (I even forgot them in there one time for about 30 minutes) to slow them down (they wouldn't be moving at all) and within 5 minutes of getting out of the fridge they would be running around just as fast as if they were never put in the fridge. So, I would think that they should be ok (no promises tho ;))

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I had no luck getting ahold of him by e-mail, but my phone calls were always returned, usually within an hour or three. He shipped mine Monday 3/1/2010, and told me to expect them about Thursday, as they went priority mail. I will be sure to keep you guys posted on how things go for me.

I did call him in advance to be sure he could ship the Discoids here, and he told me he could.

As to temperatures, most roaches can tolerate sub freezing temperatures and survive them just fine (granted, they won't be breeding until they are warm again) and some species can actually tolerate below-freezing temps, and still be alive.

I don't know what the specific ranges are for Discoids.

10. jono

jono Elite Member

this is true but the roaches i ordered (discoids) are legal in florida because they are already an established species in the wildlife here. i checked with him before hand to make sure he was willing to ship them and he said it was no problem. most sellers simply refuse to sell any roaches to floridians because they are not well versed on the specifics of the laws here.

i really hope thats not the case though!!:eek:

i did some price comparison as well and i did see other sites with lower prices, however the blaberus guy was the only one willing to ship anything here. most other sellers said no way or flat out never replied to my emails. this goes back to many of these sellers not knowing the specifics of the law.

this is good to hear. i hope i dont open the box and have a bunch of roach-cicles! haha fat chance here in florida!!

so did he actually call/email you that day to say "hey i shipped your roaches"? or when you spoke to him he said thats when he would ship them if you ordered them before then? because i ordered mine 2/25/10 and i have to assume that is plenty of time to process my order and get them shipped the following monday.. which would be the same day yours were shipped. i guess ill just have to keep an eye out for the delivery this week. ive never had anything delivered by priority usps though. do they knock on my door and hand deliver the package or will they just drop it at my door step or try to shove it in my mailbox??? lol i need to know what to expect. will it come at the same time as my normal mail runs or is priority delivered at different times? (remember im a third shift guy so my sleep schedule is backwards. i have to plan these kind of things so i know when its "safe" for me to sleep! lol)
    and im glad to hear that these roaches can tolerate the chilly weather. i was really worried about that.

also on a side note, i have a quick question. where in the heck does everyone get their egg flats/crates for their roach/cricket bins?? ive looked in way too many stores to count and no one sells them! do you order them online? or do you go to local business that would normally chuck them and ask to take them? i only have 2 atm and i know thats not gonna be enough!

phew sorry this is a long one just had to get all that out though lol.:rolleyes:

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know someone here actually goes to restaurants and asks for their egg crate - waffle house, IHOP, anyone that uses lots of eggs will probably be happy to hand them over to you, rather than filling their dumpster.

I called him Sunday, and he told me my roaches were slated for shipping on Monday (3/1/2010), so I have to assume they have shipped.

As to the priority mail, I don't know how it arrives. I can't recall - I have shipped so many things I can't remember who does what and how. I really hope they knock on the door, because a box won't fit in my apartment mailbox. If there is no signature required for the box, the USPS here leaves it with the front office of our complex, and that is something I definitely don't want my apartment managers to know about. Then again, if it's getting shipped priority mail, it will be in a priority box, not necessarily labeled as Box O' Roaches.

I'm not impressed with the communication issues we both seem to be having with this site - a seller/vendor should be more accessible to their clients, and send them shipping confirmation, etc, rather than making us make 50 phone calls to get all the details straight.

I only started calling when none of my initial e-mails were returned. I did not place my order until after I had spoken with him in person.

12. jono

jono Elite Member

i agree! only time ive ever had trouble like this was when purchasing something from overseas during the holiday season when everything is just stupidly busy.. but thats a different story lol.

hopefully we have no troubles getting a colony going of these roaches so we dont have to jump through hoops again to get more!

13. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I ordered my egg flats from the RoachGuy and had them shipped when I ordered my dubia colony........I realize you ordered discoids and I BELIEVE he only sells the Dubia, but for what it is worth, I know you can also order the egg crates alone from his website. (BTW, seems like a great guy, pleasant e-mail's, good prices, and quick to ship.)

(I've also been told that if you ask nicely, a lot of the restaurants that serve breakfast will pretty much give them to you, if you catch them at the right time...I've been meaning to stop by our local Perkins, but haven't had a chance to do so yet...but sure would be nice if they would supply them free.:))

14. jono

jono Elite Member

haha yesss there is an IHOP and waffle house within a mile of my house! i will stop in at both places in the morning on my way home from work to see what i can get! :D

15. jono

jono Elite Member

the only problem i have with ordering the egg flats from a roach vendor is that they charge a lot of $$$ for them.. ive seen many selling 5 flats for 3 bucks. doesnt seem like much money but then i saw other sites (not feeder stores.. possibly manufacturers) selling packs of 100 for 10 bucks. i guess i should have ordered them at that price but i was hoping i could walk into wal-mart or some craft store and get the same bargain. no dice though. but getting them for free from a breakfast joint is an even better deal! lol

16. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I get my egg flats from a resturant I frequent but any resturant will do. Just talk to the manager.

I don't know about your shipments but mine was left in the package box at my apartment (the kind where they leave the key to it in your box), so I'm going to assume that if you don't have one of those that they would put them on your doorstep because you do not have to sign for them.

Also, when they came they did have "live" stamped on the box (I assume from the post office). not sure if anything else was stamped on it because it's been a while since I got mine and don't have the boxes anymore.

Depending on how many you ordered. the size of the box should be around the size of 2 egg flats stacked on eachother, so, about 12"x12"x4"? (approx. ;))

17. jono

jono Elite Member

ok so this is good to hear that many people have good luck getting their egg flats from restaurants. ill be sure to ask around. theres a few places where the servers/cooks know me by name now, im thinkin ill have the best luck there.
    since they dont require a signature i guess if i happen to fall asleep and miss the delivery it would be no biggie, assuming they leave it at my doorstep. so long as i wake up to get them inside before too long. now if they try to shove it in the mail box or bring it back to the post office for some odd reason that would be a problem. im guessing since this is a service of the usps that they deliver the priority mail at the same time as "regular" mail.. ive yet to figure out the mail time schedule in my new neighborhood though since i just moved into this house.
    ugh i hope they get here soon! im excited to get the ball rolling with these roaches and even more excited to bring my beardy home!!
    anywho, back to the actual subject of this post.. lol. i think after the delivery im going to have to spread the word about this guys lack of communication. things seemed great right until i ordered. thats just not right. granted, he may make up for it somewhat by throwing in some extra roaches which would be nice. but thats no excuse for not keeping your customers informed. thats NOT how you go about getting repeat customers!

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If for some reason they do take them back to the post office (which I highly dout will happen) they will leave a note that you have a package at the post office and you would have to go pick it up there. I do know that when my sister gets packages at her house if they don't need signed for they just leave it on her front porch.

19. jono

jono Elite Member

yeah i dont think they would bring it back to the post office either. i was thinkin fedex or ups. keepin my fingers crossed that they will come wed/thurs.

20. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I have ordered roaches twice and both times they came on thursday.