This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone Ever Use Probiotics After Antibiotics, What Do You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Geo7809, May 25, 2010.

1. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

My bearded dragon is on metronidazole for intestinal parasites. I was reading that antibiotics also kill the good bacteria which will cause a lack of appetite, and that the use of probiotics is a big help. Today i ordered Acidophiliz by Pet Authority . Has anyone ever used probiotics before? did they work for reptile, and what brand do you think is good?

2. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Yes. It is common for Iguana owners to use probiotics after a course of ABX in order to replenish the "good" gut flora that was erradicated during the ABX treatment.

The most highly recommended one is Nutri-bac, designed specifically for reptiles. Bene-bac can be also used, it's designed for birds.

Also consider a maintenance program of probiotic supplement once a week in the diet to maintain a healthy gut flora, which tends to crowd out the "bad" bugs.

Good luck!

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What a great idea to keep up the healthy flora, just like us humans, I'll check and see if I can find it in Canada. Thanks:)

4. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Thanks Dominick, im going to get her on them as soon as it arrives. and i will keep her on them as a weekly routine