This Disappears When Logged In

Anyone Else's Burm Growl All the Time?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by methos75, Aug 29, 2012.

1. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

And I do mean growl, such an angry little guy. He doesn't strike or anything, but man he growls like an Pitt Bull

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Growling? I'm no expert on snakes but that doesn't seem right. Hissing maybe!

Either way, my Burm is pretty quiet. :)

3. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

No it growls LOL, it is hissing I suppose but its a deep guttural rumbling type of hiss LOL

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Maybe it the air moving or stomach growls?

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Do snakes make a growling noise? :confused:

6. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Ok, it is hissing I guess but he is just crazy angry all the time it seems.

[video=youtube;B0cYg5J88HY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0cYg5J88HY&feature=*********[/video]

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Oh okay! :) well like I said, I'm not an expert but I think that's considered hide violation. Violating his hide will not win his favor. You'll also want to be sure to pick him up in a less predatory manner. You should also consider hook training him. :) I mean no offense, these are just things to take into consideration.

My best friend has a female albino green Burm who's 14 feet (I think) and she's a talker. She hisses constantly but isn't defensive. She's very calm and moves in a slow deliberate manner (no quick, darting movements), but she hisses. So I guess some snakes just do that?

8. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Yeah I should hook train, but I like using my hands so that they know that its not always feeding time when I open up the tubs. It is my one really bad habit I guess, I only use the hooks for my aggressive snakes when I should be more consistent.

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I use the hook to let my Burm know that it's time to handle him. I also pat him so he well aware of my presence.

I feed in the enclosure and never touch him when it's feeding time, or handle the day I feed. These activities are mutually exclusive and he's got a pretty amazing "off" switch. :)

I also leave him alone when he's in his "hide." It's not much of a hide considering he's 15 feet but I get the message when he's trying to sleep or chill. His hide is the area behind his water box. He's totally obscured from view back there, and he has a similar spot on the other side of his enclosure.

10. Kamala

Kamala Active Member

Aja do you have any pictures of your Burm enclosure, or room... maybe in another thread or something? I'm just intrigued that a lady would be brave enough to care for such a big snake, however, I know you are beyond competent and able, so I am kind of fascinated by what your set up and procedures may be?