This Disappears When Logged In

Any Idea What This Is...? Help.

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by CuriouslyPurple, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Discovered this today... Any idea what it is?

image1.JPG image2.JPG

2. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Possibly scale rot? What is your set up like? Temps, humidity, substrate? That would help narrow down possibilities.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's a wound. Do you feed live?

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I second Merlin. If you don't feed live, what type of substrate/hides do you have in the enclosure? Anything that can cause an abrasion?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would guess a bite wound, it looks relatively deep (at least in the photos)?
    Whatever it is you can apply a diluted solution of iodine. ten parts water to one part iodine, apply once per day, and do not rinse off. if it doesn`t appear to be healing over the next few days I would recommend a vet visit.

Karma Momma likes this.
  6. Hey guys,
    Thaanks for all your help! I don't feed live, so I'm not sure where she would've gotten this from. She's in a plastic storage bin (the large one) with forest floor substrate, a steel water bowl, and a black plastic hide from llc reptile. Could the substrate possibly have caused it? Should I switch her over to aspen or newspaper?

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What does the forest floor substrate consist of? I am not familiar with this brand. Does it have large pieces of wood with sharp ends? It looks like a puncture wound to me. I would go ahead and remove the substrate and replace it with something softer.
    Another thought is do you have any screen on the lid of the plastic container? It could be the screen isn't completely secure and caused the abrasion while she was exploring. Can you post some photos of the set up?

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Looks like an injury. You can observe, if it doesn't seem to be resolving by the next shed, you may want to contact a vet, especially if your snake's behavior changes, or you see any swelling or discharge from the wound.

Small wounds will frequently resolve on their own if the animal is healthy, but it is wise to keep an eye on it.