This Disappears When Logged In

Any Herp Vets Here?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by uromastyx, Jun 23, 2012.

1. uromastyx

uromastyx Well-Known Member

I would like to become a herp veterinarian but I can't find any info on it. I can only find info on "normal" vet school. Do you just go through general vet school and then train in herps after I graduate? How does it work? Is there anyone here who can lead me in the right direction?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Try calling your local veterinarians who deal with herps, and asking them what schooling they have. Many have websites you may be able to check, where they will proudly display their credentials.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You've got to go through the whole shooting match to be a vet - after you get all of the basics taken care of you can select your area of expertise.

4. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

They are normal vets with extra studies in "exotics". Some choose specific exotics, some keep it broad. The reason it's hard to find herp vets sometimes is not because vets don't have the expertise, it's usually because they are kept very busy with mammals, so they drop the "exotics" part to keep up with "normal" pet demand (keep in mind that knowledge requires maintenance, so even if you learned all about herps, if you haven't seen one in 6 years, there's a very good chance you might miss something, so this is for the safety of your pet as well as the convenience of the clinic). There are those that work almost exclusively on exotics, but they are generally scarce, and sometimes non-existent depending on the area.

Think of vets like doctors in that they must first do the "general" schooling, then specialize, which is why you get exotics vets, large animal vets, small animal vets, etc etc. In case of emergency, most vets will at least look at a reptile, even if they don't specialize in it, but for generally care, it is definitely best to seek a vet who has taken the time to learn about herps and maintain that knowledge.