This Disappears When Logged In

Ants.

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by titus, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Well, we've had them for about a month now, but haven't shown them off here. The good thing is they're always doing something, the newest creepy crawlies. A middle sized (500+ ants) colony of Polyrhachis dives a common ant in Australia and Asia. Not really a weaver ant by genus, but do build their nest in the same way using the silk produced from their larvae as a base. Here are a few pictures of their set up and nest. Since adding the second basin they have moved their nest to the tubing connecting the two basins, not what I would have liked but I can't make them do what I want them to. So they'll move out and build a proper nest when they have too large a colony to live in the tubing.

Attached Files:

2. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Cool!

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That is by far one of the oddest collections I have seen here. I love the photos, and look forward to seeing the progress they make as their colony grows to the point of splitting off to make new ones.

4. bethany

bethany Elite Member

I really don't know what to say about this....its so odd :)

5. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Haha those things are really common. I could find about 50 in Half an Hour just by going out side. Weird how pests over here are pets some where else

6. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Very, VERY odd, but somewhat cool and interesting! Good luck! :)

*EDIT Just thought of something! What if that were to get knocked over! :eek: That wouldn't be good! :D

7. titus

It is strange how that happens, isn't it? I guess what's common for us to see where we live is an exotic species to people everywhere else. You would be suprised how many ant keepers are in Europe with the laws allowing shippment of queens. It's not as difficult as in the US or other places.

These Ants reproduce rather quickly, I would guess that the colony will be over 1000 ants in a month or two. Being a species that has more than one breeding queen makes it all the more possible. I have been able to count 5 queens but I would guess there are more.

No it wouldn't, as with any exotic species you need to make sure that the cage is escape proof. Not that they would infest the house but simply you wouldn't want a queen to get out and displace a local species. This species is low risk for this happening, Classified as risk class 2, Exotic with no proven threat to the local eco system. Risk Class 3 is the highest class that private owners can keep, that have proven cases of becoming invasive species or can cause damage to property if they should escape. Of course if only a few workers escape it's not a issue, only if it's a queen then it's a problem.

8. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Like say a species of White ants? (termites)

9. titus

Edit--- I guess I missed the main point of what you wanted to say. While if you were to have only a worker termites infest you house (not common). You would have some damage but they wouldn't be there for long while I don't know their top life span, the top for ants is one year with the queen living well over 20 for most species. With only workers to lay eggs only males would be born. An with out a queen to produce workers and new queens the colony would fade and die in time.

Thats a good example, as all insects are placed in a risk class for import/export, though Termites are not really an ant as they are not part of the family Formica. All Exotics are going to be at least risk class 2, a few species such as wood boring ants that build paper nests out of dead wood are risk class three as well as any exotic that may adapt to living in the area of import. Each country has their own list and classes the risk of insect speices in different ways based on their own needs. The USDA in the US doesn't allow queen ants to be shipped (even within the state of origin) or cross state lines in any way shape or form. By far the most restrictive law regarding a insect that I know of.

10. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I have ant's everywhere around my house and I am constantly battling to keep them out its people like you that gives these Ants bad idea's I blame you lol!

My sister had a ant farm when she was younger it is really interesting to watch them though!

11. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Elite Member

ants freak me out. My house is basically built on top of a huge ant hill. I can't wait until we get our house tented soon and it will be so long ants and termites.

Interesting though.

12. titus

Ants are like roaches a few speices give the whole family a bad name, most won't infest your house. Pharoh ants are the most common pest ant, across all counties.

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Titus- you have brought up some very interesting points. I did know that there were many species of ants and that some of them were not as "bothersome" as others, but I think everyone could learn something from you. As with every other creature in this forum, ants do seem to have their place and I may even be persuaded to keep some( if I lived in a place where they were more available). Thank you for teaching me something new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.