This Disappears When Logged In

Ants - I'm Going to Vomit

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by schlegelbagel, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

So I started taking apart the 90 gallon to deal with my spider mite issue. I'm picking up a 10 lb block of dry ice tomorrow. I start trimming back all the plants, and then I pull out the highly infected pothos plant.

WHAM.

Ants EVERYWHERE. Apparently they have built an entire colony in the pothos plant. When I yanked it out, they scattered. Taking eggs and running like little panicked sugar ants. I finished tearing out the plants and shut it back up, hoping the majority will stay in there. Really, the sight made me want to throw up.

So how did they get there? Its not like it just happened, although I don't know how fast ants make nests and reproduce. We have had a few scattered sugar ants in the kitchen and dining room for about 3 weeks now. Its possible they came IN the pothos when I bought it 6 months ago.

Then there is the chance a few found a home and started reproducing at the start of the summer.

Any clue what I should do to keep this from happening again? To start I'll be getting ultra fine screening, the kind they can't come through, and cover up all my vents. In fact I'm going to cover up everything BUT where the heat fixture is. Of course this will only keep bugs out, and do nothing if I get them in a plant.

Honestly, this is the 2nd time in a year I have had problems like this, and I'm considering getting rid of live plants all together. Its not very fun and there will be less humidity.... but I'm tired of the trouble.

The good news is the frogs seem unharmed. I did a full look over today and inspected them all under some warm water. Cleaned them off, looked at their legs. No bite marks. They are in a 60 gallon rubbermaid tote with some screen venting and heat bulbs. Nothing but paper towel, a few branches, a fake plant and a water dish. Hopefully I'll get some #2's and hopefully they will be normal.

:(

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hmm. Did you transplant into another pot before putting in the enclosure?

3. schlegelbagel

Yup, I sure did. Washed the roots and leaves out too, which makes me think they probably came from outside.

I can't wait to dry ice bomb the stink out of that tomorrow.

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

What timing! Brett and I went to check out the new Harris Teeter here and they sell dry ice for $.99. I thought of you when I saw it. I hope things get better! Maybe you can try drowning everything with water?

5. kriminaal

Must be one sweet enclosure to attract them.

6. schlegelbagel

Lovely, I also have some sort of centipede/millipede in there. They surfaced this morning. I guess I really disrupted life in there last night.

7. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

I've been battling ants for a little while, now, too. They've been bad enough that I had to remove any natural substrate...but the plants are still up for grabs. This morning there were ants in the CGD bowl of the crestie cage I had set in there last night. They were also in the chams feeding jar. I know mine come from outside. I can place cinnamon, chalk, etc...around the crestie cage, but the cham cage is too big.

So...how does the dry ice work?

8. schlegelbagel

Take the cham out, get a huge tarp and one pound of dry ice per 10 gallons.

Put the dry ice in, wrap up the tank as air tight as possible and let the dry ice evaporate for 36 hours. What this does is creates massive amounts of Co2 in the tank and suffocates anything that breathes oxygen.

I'm also worried about a possible parasite problem. I moved everyone into the hospital tank and i have some runny poo. Bugs could have brought in anything.

*sigh*

It could be stress, I'll keep a look out and if things don't "solidify" I'll be taking a frog and a poo sample into the vet.

9. prismwolf

Very cool! I may have to try that once I find a reliable dry ice delivery company. I wish this was posted a couple of days ago when I had the dry ice in with the rat shipment!

10. schlegelbagel

I'm picking up dry ice at the grocery store. Give them a call, you might be surprised. I'm sure they get food shipments in with dry ice, so they keep it to make some money off it.

I also made an appointment with the vet. Because of the holiday weekend, they can't see anyone till Tuesday, and I'm socked in with wall to wall meetings that day, so I have a 3:30 on Wednesday.

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I don't know how your vivarium is constructed but if it has legs, you can place each leg in a container of vegetable oil. The ants will not cross the oil and thus cant climb up the legs. This will also keep out any other insect that doesn't fly.

12. schlegelbagel

No legs. It's sitting on top of a bathroom cabinet.

13. schlegelbagel

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGG the dry ice didn't work!They are still there! I just shop-vaced the whole thing and am now going to coat the entire thing in a 1-10 bleach solution. I'm so ticked. I want to cry and scream. I'm tossing all my plants.

All the other critters died. My worms, the millipedes but nooooooo, not the stupid ants.

I'm going to lift the base up to see if they are UNDER the tank, but I'm not doing that until I pick up something to kill them with. The frogs are going in a totally other room until I figure all this out. I can't take it any more.

14. kriminaal

Good luck with that. I know from experience that ants are hard to get rid of.

15. prismwolf

Note to self - dry ice does not kill ants.

16. schlegelbagel

I think it may have gotten rid of some of them.. but not ALL of them.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA I just bleached the crap out of the viv (1-10 solution) and had fun watching them all run and die. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I also picked up some outdoor ant killer. It's granules to sprinkle along the outside of the house. Maybe NOW things will go good. I also picked up a little tiny bit of indoor. I'm going to VERY CAREFULLY put it on a paper towel and just wipe down along the base of the cabinet at the floor.

The only good news of the day is I found solid, healthy poop in the hospital tank. Maybe it was just stress making them have the runs. *crosses fingers*

17. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Gosh Liz I hope everything works out okay! What a pain. Glad the frogs are doing well. :)

18. schlegelbagel

Well I sprayed down the inside of the tank with plain water and no little ants went scurrying around so thats good and I only found one wandering ant on the floor of the dining room so I squashed it.

19. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Poor Liz!!!

20. schlegelbagel

Yeah, and they came back too, although I don't think they are in the tank like before. I'm going to be spraying the outside of the house and along ground level in the basement tonight. Its been so wet, everyone in the area is having the same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.