This Disappears When Logged In

Answer ASAP, Leaving when People Wake Up...

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by Maaso, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I'm going to(and I hate to say it) Wal-Mart to look through their nursery thingy at some real plants for my Anoles. Just wondering what I should get, name wise. I'm only going to have $10 or so. I want something short, but WIDE. I'm sure I will find something when I get there that looks like I want. But I dont know if its toxic, or if I cant plant in in a tropica invironment...

Also, can I just plant any them like they come from Wal-Mart, or is that a bad idea. Not being a plant person...do they have poisons and all that on them? Since my Anoles drink from the leaves, I dont want anything that will hurt them.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Every plant you buy will need to be thouroughly washed to remove any residue of chemicals. Most walmarts will not have much in the way of tropical plants, which is what you will need. About the only thing I can think of that they would regularly carry is pothos ivy. If they have african violets those will work too as well as giving you flowers in the tank.

3. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Lowes, or Home Depot have a better selection? I would rather go there if I can.

Anything else I should look for, I got about an hour or so before people start waking up. I will look in the yellow pages for a plant store/nursery...or what ever they are called.

4. Merlin

It depends on the store. Around here some have a better tropical selection than others.
    Personally I would go with a plant store. Look in the phone book under Tropical plants garden centers or greenhouses. Usually plant specialty stores will also have people a bit more knowledgable than the hardware stores.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

6. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Were about to leave, one last question....I can check from my phone, wont be able to respond though.

I found about 5, 160lb bags of potting soil in the garage. If a person were to pick out all the little white balls, or strain it...something. Is there a way it could be used. I'm working on a budget here, remember. Or should I just buy some cheap perlite. If there is such a thing? And does it come in black?

7. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

You need Organic Potting mix. This includes the soil that is around any live plants you purchase. You have to clean the soil off of the roots and re-plant using the organic. There is no way you can clean the regular potting soil to make it safe for your pets. There are unseen chemicals!! I find the fake plants at the dollar store are easiest. You can clean them and you can't kill them.

8. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Ok, I found pothos. I explained to the lady what I wanted it for so it cant be toxic or anything, she thentold me some girl goes in there and buys them for her frogs every month or so. And I told her I needed an organic potting soil, with out the little white balls. So she turned me onto something called Happy Frog, she assured me that it was critter and toxin free. I havent opened it up yet because its in my truck. I just hope that old lady knew what she was talking about....

I'm going to get me a power hour...and set it up after my nap. I will keep you informed.

9. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Ok, what have a problem here...

I didnt get my nap, got called away to do a small job, got an extra $800 in my pocket though. But now I'm also on day three without sleep....but when I got back. My mum told me the plant I got isnt Pothos, its a Devil's Ivy. And its toxic!

I got on the google machine and did some sluething. I read the Pothos, and Devil's Ivy are the same thing....or were considered the same thing at one time. And they are both toxic. Are you guys sure this stuff is safe?

The pictures I was looking at, Pothos has a whitish color on its leaves, and Devil's Ivy didnt. Or atleast the pictures I was looking at anyways. I'm all confused now. Here is what I bought....

[​IMG]

Alot of pictures showed the vines to help disinguish between other species of plants...so heres the vines too.

[​IMG]

10. Merlin

Pothos is the same thing as devils ivy. It is is listed as toxic to dogs and cats if eaten. Though I must admit that my dog has eaten it without problems.
    But it is commonly used in herp environments.

11. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Awesome.

Thanks again.

12. Merlin

No problem. It does get confusing. One list will list something as toxic and another will list the same plant as safe!
    I wish there was some way of standardizing the toxic plant lists!

13. teiryklav94

teiryklav94 Well-Known Member

I have fern in my tank. is it toxic?

14. Merlin

Fern is a broad term. You would need to know what species.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Many species of plants that are domesticated have been bred to produce different colors and strains (Called Cultivars). These can range from differences in color, leaf shape, plant shape, sun tolerance, etc. When different colors are bred in, such as white or yellow, they call it Variegated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.