This Disappears When Logged In

Another self-built terrarium

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by BlackJack, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I decided the first one I built was just a bit too small for Talyn. (It had originally been intended for Q.) So I decided to build a new one. I think this one came out much better -- practice makes perfect!
    Here it is almost done... Just the sliding glass doors and she's ready to go. On the right side, I have a viewing glass window and on the left side I have two shelves to hold the SuperFog machine and other supplies. The terrarium measures 5'x 2.5' x 2.5'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(hmmm, now I have to think about what to do with the extra terrarium!) :rolleyes:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Andrea, your such a tease. Great job, it looks fantastic.

3. Paleosuchus

Paleosuchus Established Member

Well done. Neat idea on the window and shelfs. Looks like you put some time into that enclosure.
    -jason

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Great work. Thanks for sharing the pics.

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Looks really nice :) I bet you could make good money on the side making those if you wanted. It looks really cool, yet practical.

6. mookins

mookins Elite Member

that is beautiful! as someone who aspires to eventually make her own terrarium, i am insanely jealous! great work!

7. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

Great Job

Looks great Andrea,gives me some ideas for Kaa's when i build it.he is in shead right now,but as soon as he is done i'll post some pics for you :D

8. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Very nice job Andrea,concratulations!You really should put up a business in making terrariums!!

9. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

OOOhh I love terrariums... great job Andrea,now what DO you do with the other Terrarium? :rolleyes: Sounds like a great excuse for a new addition if you ask me :D

10. BlackJack

Thank you

Thanks everyone. :eek: I really enjoyed making it and I'm quite proud of this one.
    We put it in place last night. When the glass is in, and the temps/humidity have been tested, Talyn will move from the glass one above to this one below and our future GTP will move into the top one, once we've re-fitted it with perches, plants, etc. :)

Here's the new setup and some pics of Talyn checking out her future home. (I think she liked it!)

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

(PS -- the frog sculptures are just for fun -- they probably won't stay in there.)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Absolutely beautiful Andrea!
    Your artistic flair is showing!

12. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

are you using real glass or plexie glass

13. BlackJack

I'm using real glass (5mm Float glass) for the side window and 6mm for the sliding doors. I finally found a place in Germany that has the tracks for sliding doors and ships to Switzerland!
    (I didn't make the top terrarium, but that also has 5mm glass)

14. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

Very nice indeed im so very jealous too. i like the side window thats slanted interesting idea. im planning on making a terrarium outta clear acrylic that someone is giving me.

15. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Where will you put the other new baby!? LOL (You have 4 snakes now right?)
    You need to start a Viv business or something! Awesome cages!

16. BlackJack

This is the first terrarium I built that ended up being too small for Talyn to move into. So I re-painted it,divided it into two smaller and slightly more vertical terrariums and re-decorated it for the baby GTPs.
    Here's the original pic:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    and here's a pic of the re-worked terrarium. Aeryn will move into the left side and Crichton seems to be doing very well in the right terrarium. (The white line a little off center divides the terrariums (the green line is a supporting post.)
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    We'll have to see if this is too much space for little Aeryn. We're prepared with a smaller plastic container just in case.
    Aeryn's side is LWH 60x50x72cm (about 24x20x28") and Crichton's is 60x60x72cm (about 24"x24"x28")
    PS-- Good thing I didn't take this one apart when I realized it was too small for Talyn! I didn't expect we'd need it so quickly! :)

17. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Good idea! Do GTP need alot of space or no?
    Let me get this straight now...Tayln lives on the top, the two GTP's on the bottom and Monty in his own cage right?
    I do have a question though... Won't the GTP's stress out by not living up high enough to feel safe? And what about the people in your house passing by the cage all the time? Won't that stress them out by being so low? That's alot of legs passing a cage in a day! lol

18. BlackJack

Thanks for the compliments, Jem. :)
    As for the space, it depends who you talk to. Joe just told me that he knows people who keep adult GTPs in a 2ft cube enclosure. The German recommended guidelines (which are extremely generous) say the minimum cage size should be figured by multiplying the length of the snake by 0.75m x 0.5m x1.5m (LWH) which means a pair of adult GTPs (length 1.5 m) should be housed in a terrarium that is 1.13m x 0.75m x 2m (They don't recommend anything higher than 2meters.)
    In inches that is 44.5"x 29.5"x 78.5" which is enormous. So, somewhere between a 2ft cube and the size quoted above is used by GTP keepers. Many people think they don't move around much and just stay curled up on the branch all the time and, therefore, don't need much more space than that. However, they do go exploring at night and should have some space to move around... even if they don't completely stretch out.
    IMO, I think it's more important for this species to have a larger space because it is not a "handling" snake and doesn't get the exercise that my BP or BRB get when I take them out and let them crawl around on me or on the floor, stair railing or furniture.
    I also think it depends on how many animals you're keeping in an enclosure. Two or more GTPs in a "small" enclosure can lead to stress, not eating, aggressiveness and fighting, according to one of my books.
    One book I read says that the set up is as (or more) important than the size: having enough plants or things for the snake to hide behind reduces stress, since they hang around "exposed" most of the day.
    I personally want to give my snakes as much space as I can afford to, both physically and financially.
    But they can be kept well and healthy in smaller enclosures. I've heard many people warn that enclosures that are too big cause stress and not eating, etc., especially for small babies. (Joe just brought up this point in my other thread). Since I am VERY new to this species, I'm trying to prepare myself for all eventualities... I have smaller containers ready if the babies show signs of stress. I do worry about the smaller containers not having enough space for a decent temp gradient, though.

As for my set up... The big display terrarium on the top is vacant at the moment: I'm setting it up with perches and live plants. (One of the GTPs will move into that when they're bigger and I'll probably enlarge their current terrarium for the other one.)
    Talyn is in the terrarium below the big display terrarium now.
    Monty has his own set up across the room and the GTP split terrarium is in my office. It is close to the floor but there is not a lot of foot traffic around it: I come in and work at the computer and Martin comes to check on Crichton, the humidity, temps etc. Most of the day and night there's no one in there, so I don't think it is too disturbing. We'll see how they settle in.
    Thanks for asking.

19. Ebone' Patton

Ebone' Patton Well-Known Member

If I was only a reptile people would make my house for free....lol.

20. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I swear Andrea, you have more hidden talents in you somewhere! I can see a few new Viv's in the making for more snakes soon! :p lol
    I just wish I could do what you do with the cages! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.