This Disappears When Logged In

Another "rosie Isnt Feeding" Thread

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Froich, Feb 23, 2011.

1. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I hate to hear that your Eve still hasn't eaten for you....
    Obviously I am a FAR cry from an "experienced Boa owner", and the only thing I can offer is what has seemed to work with my own Luna...so with that in mind: Are you sure the temps are correct?? What feeder size are you offering her?? Where are you feeding her at??? and if it is a separate container, how large is it, and is it a solid color or is it clear/transparent??....Are you covering the container with a lid??......
    (I am going to offer my Luna a fuzzy again this weekend, but if she doesn't take it I very well might offer her 2 pinkies again since she took those so quickly and readily this weekend...... and I do know that this last time, I completely covered the black feeding tub she was in....I am thinking it might have made her feel more secure...I also know that I didn't notice ANY type of "starting to shed" in Luna at all...it wasn't until that night that I noticed she had shed.)...
    I'm hoping that your Eve will indeed eat for you in the near future.

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I'm sorry to hear she still hasn't eaten for you. To add to the questions above, have you had a fecal test done to rule out any sort of parasite?

3. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

No on the fecal test, she hasnt pooped yet. I have offered her pinkies and fuzzies. She doesnt seem interested in either. I try feeding her in a seperate container, its clear but I cover it with my black hoody, I also make sure it is warm. Its also about 10 gallons large.

As far as temps go in the cage. 80's in the warmest spot. 60's or 70's on the cool side.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't own a Rosy boa, but should the temperatures be a little higher.

I found this caresheet, let me know what you guys think of this.
    Rosy Boa Care Sheet

5. DarkMagician207

Caresheet is fairly accurate though my warm side temps don't usually go over 85.

For the not pooping, maybe (just taking a guess) she is a bit constipated and as a result is not interested in eating. You can try soaking her in lukewarm (not too hot) water. Since she is so little, the water doesn't have to be very high, she should be able to touch the bottom. Most snakes will go to the bathroom while being soaked, all three of my snakes have done it so it definitely happens lol. Though if she isn't eating, there may not be much to come out, but this is just something to try. You can use the tub you feed her in if you like and just wash it out afterwards.

For eating, I'm getting a little creative so I'm not sure how well it would work, but you could try getting a hold of a live feeder mouse. Thaw out your pinky and dry it off then rub it on the feeder mouse before offering it to her. A stronger mousy scent might encourage her to eat. Of course this would also mean either keeping and housing the mouse, finding someone who needs a mouse or if you can return it to the store. I've never tried this method so I'm unsure, just trying to think of something that might help. Worst comes to worst, you may have to go with a live pinky instead. Not the best case scenario, but at least the pinky doesn't have the claws and teeth to hurt your snake.

6. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

I'll be trying these things. Thanks :)

7. teach920

Keeping my fingers crossed your little one will eat very soon..I know how worried I was for my own Luna, and then how relieved I was after she shed and started eating again....regarding your feeding tub, does the sweater you are placing over it cover the entire top and sides?? (I am asking because I do know that my own Luna seemed to eat much better once I covered it completely....making sure no light could enter into her feeding tub...I read when young, sometimes they can be timid and need that extra privacy/security...Just a thought...and again, hoping yours sheds and eats for you real soon.

8. DarkMagician207

I also find it helpful when the thing you are using to cover the feeding bin covers the entire thing as well. Even when they aren't young anymore, it helps. :)

Good luck, I hope one of these things will work for you.

9. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

ahh.. yeah I havnt been covering it completely, I shall upgrade to a blanket! haha. I will have to wait till wednesday since that will be a week since last attempt. Also..I gave her a soak, she didnt like that very much haha..kept trying to find a way out of the tub. THe water was luke warm too.

10. DarkMagician207

Dark blankets or towels will hopefully help. Even if you have to pull down your blinds or close curtains or whatever to make the room quiet and dark when you feed. It's worth a shot.

Yea, they're not always huge fans of being soaked, but most times will calm down. Just make sure she can touch the bottom. You don't need much right now for her small size.

Hopefully there will be positive news coming. You may have to leave her in there for a half hour to an hour, sometimes Chaos is a very sloooow eater and takes his time to even get interested. If you're not a fan of leaving her that long, you can also try putting her in an old pillow case or paper bag securely closed and place her in her enclosure for awhile.

Fingers crossed for good news.

11. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

Alright, I tried feeding her again since it has been another week. 1 month and 2 weeks total since she last fed. I covered the bin completely, shut my room and let her sit in the feeding bin over an hour with the pinky. Still no luck...the odd thing is that she seems very healthy. When I went to move her back in her cage I held her for a bit, she explored all over my arms and lap and seemed perfectly comfortable, no twitching or recoiling quickly. Perhaps she is brumating (I think thats what it is called?) and just doesnt need to eat for two months??

12. DarkMagician207

What kind of pinky did you use? Frozen/thawed or live?

I suppose it's possible, but I didn't think such young snakes did that.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of now would be to monitor her weight with a scale and continue to offer her food during feeding days.

13. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

freshly thawed. I even felt around down toward her mid section for any hard poop or blockage, didnt feel a thing. Yeah I guess that is all I can do is continue to have patience. Here is a picture though!

Attached Files:

14. DarkMagician207

She's still cute. :)

I'll keep thinking though and let you know if I come up with anything. I don't have huge experience with snakes that don't eat.

15. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I know it sounds gross but i've heard that it works..'braining' the mouse.
    Use a paperclip and puncture the brain of the mouse and rubbing some of it on the mouse's nose and such. I have no idea why it works but I have heard a pretty good success rate. I don't know it that's for switching from live to f/t or if it will work on a snake that is refusing to eat, but it could be worth a shot.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And make sure the food is warm.

17. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I have heard of one person scenting their pinky with salmon and it worked like a charm.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can also try dipping the pinkie in chicken broth.
    Not sure about the salmon. Wouldn't be many of those in Kenya. LOL!

19. DarkMagician207

Thanks guys for stopping by to post those. I will keep them in mind too since I was running out of ideas.

20. teach920

Thanks for sharing the photo,,,,she looks to be the same size as my Luna, and is quite the cutie...
    Sorry to hear that she still isn't eating....I know that going without food for 6 weeks (and MUCH longer) is quite common for an adult, however I didn't think it was common for yearlings...as suggested I would definitely be monitoring the weight and keep offering the food...I would also try the dipping in chicken broth if all else fails...(I myself use a hair dryer on my fuzzies after they have thawed out, just to warm them up a bit more than room temperature.)