This Disappears When Logged In

Another Question About Flexwatt

Discussion in 'Heating' started by poomwah, Jan 16, 2014.

1. poomwah

poomwah Well-Known Member

I know there is a lot of info and a lot of threads about flexwatt. but after reading them, I'm a bit confused about something.
    I've read, from MANY sources, that flexwatt must not be sandwiched between two things, for instance, between a shelf and the bottom of an enclosure, or between the bottom of an enclosure and a piece of tile, etc. That it MUST have space on at least one side so that air may get to it, and to avoid overheating. Ok, THAT makes sense, except for :
    Flexwatt was apparently designed to be used to heat floor tile. In that application, its put directly on the sub floor and covered with tile. So , when used for its intended purpose, there is no air gap.
    So.......if its intended to be used sandwiched directly between two items, why does it overheat if sandwiched between two items?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Not sure. I don't use it for my house floors, but when I put it in my enclosures, I fix it to the back of a tile, which then has 1/4" risers under it just so it has some breathing space.

My best guess would be that they apply some kind of layer under it to help disperse heat. Something rigid, but with holes and whatnot to allow air to move around... Just a guess based on no actual knowledge.