This Disappears When Logged In

Another owner killed by python!

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Merlin, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

On the upside, they returned the snake to the family instead of killing it, which would have been pointless.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

This is why you DONT handle a 14 foot python alone ;)

4. Merlin

Let alone try to medicate it!
    I wonder if he was attempting to give orals or an injection?

5. mshrmheadcharge

A snake that size I would imagine injection, but who knows, some of our so called "herp vets" are mildly retarded.

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

definitely not a good idea to handle one alone. especially if they claimed he had that many years of experience. i would have thought he should have known better. shame though.

7. Cali

Cali Elite Member

the fact that he only had it for 5 months aswell! so it wasn't even used to him!!!

not nice really to think about though, but these things happen i suppose.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Doesn't say if they had any others. Hope it wasn't their first herp. You know the type that think it's cool to have a big snake to show off to their friends.

9. venus

venus Founding Member

It is a shame. But I did read another article that they have 13 other snakes but didnt list what they were.

10. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Yup, i heard about this a few days ago, the city is just about 2 hours south of my city, so it made the paper here...

And that article even said he had 10 YEARS of reptile experience, lol.

11. Merlin

I picked up on that as well.
    Since he was only 23 that means his "experience" started at the age of 13!
    I wonder how many BIG snakes that experience included.

12. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

A man on another forum I fequent was very good friends with him. This is a post he made about the incident which answered most of the questions people had about it.

13. Merlin

This IS an unfortunate situation and our comments are merely intended to point out how dangerous these animals can be, particularly if the accepted cautions and protocols are not followed. Everytime something like this happens it gives the anti reptile groups that much more ammunition in their efforts to make herp keeping illegal.
    We mean no disrespect to the deceased and his family.

14. grim

grim Elite Member

an unfortunate fate for anyone... this could have been so easily prevented if he had even one person in there with him(they could have bashed the snakes head till it let go) Well this is not going to look good on the herp community now matter how you look at it.

15. Merlin

Just for the record "bashing the snakes head" would NOT be the appropriate action. This would only serve to cause the snake to constrict more and in your panic you would probably be beating the victim.

16. mshrmheadcharge

Im with Merlin on this one...its in the nature of the beast to kill, he shoulnt of tried taking on such a large snake alone. Bashing the snake in the head would have caused further retailation of the snake...after he was done with the first dood he woulda moved onto the headbasher!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.