This Disappears When Logged In

Another Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cate0404, Nov 28, 2010.

1. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Hey my wife always said there was no room if it wasn't a cat or dog. Now we have two snakes(more coming soon) an adult iguana an 12 rats. There's always room if you look right. ;)

2. cate0404

cate0404 Member

I don't think I like you very much Frognut!!!! You and I might have to have words!;|(|

So about having those words - uummmm the pic of a coffee table that is now a tank????????? And how do I find this bed that is also a tank? Sounds like a very cool idea! Not that I am getting any ideas - I'm just thinking ahead for when I win the lotto >:):D

vega74 - I would love to get a snake, but as I do Family Daycare for a living, I'm guessing I would lose all my clients - and no I am not getting a different job!! LOL:D

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Here is the link to the platform bed build - it's still under construction, but very neat!! http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/31879-new-enclosure-new-bed.html

As far as home daycare?? It's an educational experience for the children >:) Keep it in a locked tank and... voila - safe! :p

Cate0404 -- I'm thinking we are going to be good friends....:x

5. cate0404

cate0404 Member

Oh my!!!! (Where is the fainting emoticon when you need one???) That is truly amazing!! Very clever way to use space - now to go looking for a coffee table that I can turn into an enclosure. (JK!!)

:D:D:D

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

...I really, really, really wish that more people were like you. That ANY person who wants a pet or who gets their kid a pet, could be like you. That is awesome! I have no doubt that your son's dragon will be extremely well cared for. Good luck to you both!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! If only it was so easy!
    However you can distract them by dangling a snake on a stick in front of them!;)

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hi Cate!! I apologize for not welcoming you to your new home sooner! I have read ALL of the posts on this thread, and I know you are hooked and you know it also! I am impressed by your approach to getting your son his new family member. As others have said (and the motto for any GOOD Irish family), there is ALWAYS room for one more. We have a son who will be 4 on March 28. We also have: A 12+ foot normal Burmese python, an 8+ foot albino Burmese python, 5 common boa constrictors, 8 ball pythons, 3 corn snakes, 1 white-lipped python, 1 short-tailed python, 1 Taiwanese beauty snake, 1 mangrove snake(Boiga dendrophila), 1 Mali uromastyx lizard, 3 dogs, and 1 cat who is now just a touch over 16 years old. So always remember- there is room if you really look! Take care! ;)

David

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh she is hooked for sure, it starts off very innocent with getting a lizard for their child and then BAM, she is hooked! She will instantly fall in Love with this little Bearded Dragon, the arm waves, the way he fall asleep, the expressions on their little faces, the determination to hunt and find the crickets, and the cheers when he catches one and gobbles it up so fast. His first little bath, the weird ways/positions they fall asleep; OK I better stop now, but I could go on and on about falling in love with a reptile.

10. cate0404

cate0404 Member

Oh my Lord! All you people are terrible! You are like a drug dealer for a junkie!!!!! Putting all these thoughts and tips about how to find extra room and how you can always 'just squeeze one more in'. :D

But I will be honest, and I'd like this to be the first meeting of Herps Annon. When my son first told me he wanted a Bearded dragon 18 months ago, my first reaction was nope, no way. But we have a rule in this house, on the childs tenth birthday they get to pick a pet, as long as they take care of it and do the groundwork BEFORE the animal came along. My daughter turned 10 first - she picked a dog - easy. Then my son turns 10 and says he wants this bearded dragon and, basically, put a spanner in the works. I didn't know anything about reptiles, except for the fact that I knew most of them looked downright creepy to me. And the feeding of crickets, or mice or cockroaches (and yes I know you have a different name for them, but people they are still cockroaches!! LOL) So I researched Ferrets - don't you want a ferret son? No Mum I want a BD. So I researched frogs - don't you want a frog son? No Mum I want a BD and on and on this went. So I got my anxious self along to the reptile centre and nearly in tears (JK, but its good for the story line), asked if I could please have a look at the bearded dragons. So I held a juvie and patted a juvie and I might admit to nuzzling a bearded dragon, maybe. And then I research bearded dragons - would you like a bearded dragon son? and as they say the rest is history. I think I am actually really excited about this - I bore my friends with BD facts and I am always on utube looking at all the really cute BD videos (some not so cute, some are just downright dumb.) and buying books on BD husbandry. Oh and using words like herps and juvies and substrate and husbandry, I think I'm hooked, but don't tell anyone!! ;):D:D

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok,...we won't tell anyone that you're hooked!
    It'll be our little secret!
    Just you, me, and the rest of the 11,000 plus members!:-"

12. cate0404

cate0404 Member

And that's fine, because most (if not all) of you live on the other side of the world. I feel safe in that knowledge!! And I'm sure that you, me and the other 11,000 members are not going to blab to anyone, so my secret is safe! :p:D

13. mld

Lips are sealed, you never have to worry, you would just be one of us. Oh bye the way, speaking about the other side of the world, Are we invited to the Birthday Party? I would use a nice trip down under!
    Only in my dreams. Wish I knew Oprah a little better.

14. cate0404

cate0404 Member

Sure no worries! you can come to the party - 15, 11 year old boys high on coke and pizza - should be a laugh a minute!! Bring ear plugs and a bazooka and you will fit right in!!>:)

15. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

When my son's 9th birthday approached all he wanted was a scorpion. That is it, nothing else. Scorpions were the only creature that gave me the heebies. I have gotten quite attached, good thing, I bought one and the dealer was so impressed with Jonathan that he gave him a second one free. Two females, however, they were both gravid. Aren't they sweet? 1007486.jpg ;)

16. cate0404

cate0404 Member

Sweets probably not the word I would use - but hey, you're the one that has to live with that!! I actually cannot see myself ever buying a scorpion, spider or one of those really big cockroaches as a pet. Another reptile - maybe, a snake of some description - maybe, a ferret - definetly, a scorpion nuh uh. But good on you for getting over your heebie jeebies for your son!!

17. mld

That's too funny, but they are kind of cute, in a weird sort of way.

18. mld

I had a ferret when I was first out on my own, she was lovely but pretty much was like having a hyper child that never grew up.:confused: mischievous little creatures they are. She would get into everything, even found her way into other tenants apartments in our building.

19. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

But I thought the house was full. Now already saying maybe to another reptile in the future.See addicted all ready. Don't feel bad we all are here.

20. tedmunds

tedmunds Elite Member

I really like your approach with the 20 page essay. Brilliant idea. As for herp addiction.... I don't even have the Beardie I want yet and I'm already wanting more. When I started doing research it led to watching and reading things on other reptiles. For instance, snakes. I was afraid of them before, but now after I have watched hours and hours of videos on them, I kinda want one. I have learned that they aren't some evil creature that is intent on killing you. Even as I say this I have never even touched a snake, but I would hold one now if given the chance. I wont own one due to the fact that I live with my parents and my sister. Parents are scared and my sister is a true Ophidiophobic. She doesn't even like to hear someone talking about snakes. She doesn't like reptiles in general, but snake are a no no for her. Okay sorry for rambling on. Welcome to the site.