This Disappears When Logged In

Another Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cate0404, Nov 28, 2010.

1. cate0404

cate0404 Member

Hi I am from Australia and am getting my son a bearded dragon for his 11th birthday in January 2011. I was trolling the internet looking for enclosure pictures and came across this site, (and I must say I am VERY impressed!!).

Hope to learn lots and thanks in advance for any questions I may ask.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC! I am glad you have found the site to be useful. ;)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi and Welcome to the site! Bearded Dragons are wonderful, lots of personality, I just love mine.

4. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the site, glad you found us:).... (and BTW, it's good to know that you are doing your research BEFORE purchasing the animal...doing so is going to help the animal and you out immensely;) )
    Again, welcome to the site:)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome Cate! There are quite a few beardie keepers here to pick their brains!

6. cate0404

cate0404 Member

Oh, I have not leapt into this lightly! I have been doing research for about 8 months now (the local reptile info centre know me really well!!),have joined about 6 forums and told my son he can not have a bearded dragon until he writes me a 20 page essay on how they live, breathe, eat and everything else in between!

Thanks for the lovely welcomes and I'm sure I will see you all around the boards, even if it is while most of you guys are sleeping!!:D

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great idea, how old is you son? Were you able to read our sites caresheet on bearded dragon, its great, and there is a diet section on there that has all the types of greens, veggies, and fruit that are good to eat and those that are ok occasionally and those that should be avoided. Also I would recommend this great book.

Bearded Dragons: A Complete Guide to Pogona Vitticeps - Reptile Books

8. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome aboard!!!! :)

LOL!!! That is great!!

And don't worry -- while we are sleeping and you are visiting, we will be dreaming of pictures being posted.....

...... of tank set-ups
    ...... new Bearded Dragons (once the essay is completed of course)
    ;)

Enjoy your stay! :)

9. cate0404

cate0404 Member

My son will be turning 11 in January, (also when he will be getting his bearded), he already looks after our three dogs and does everything for them, so I know he has the maturity we just need the knowledge!

Have read the care sheets, printed them out, laminated them and have a copy on the fridge and a copy in my son's room.

Thanks for the tip about the book, I have ordered it and am looking forward to reading it!

10. cate0404

cate0404 Member

Thanks for the welcome!

I have done nothing but dream about this bearded and set up lately, to the point that I now have a book and pen on my bedside table for when I wake in the middle of the night to jot down things I might need/haven't thought about!!:">

I have been looking at all the great pictures on here of all the different set ups and I can not wait to be able to help my son set his up!! It is all very exciting!!

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Welcome to the Site.

12. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to HC! I think this to be a perfect site for you, we already know that your son's dragon will only be the first herp. you acquire. Relax, don't fight it, it is a wonderful addiction.;) (While you are here, you might want to start researching the cresties and leoso:)).

13. cate0404

cate0404 Member

As sorry as I am (really:-"), this will be the first and last!! I have four children, three dogs and two cats. Then of course add the dragon in a couple of months and I class that as a full house!!

And to be quite honest, I don't even know what a crestie is or a leoso?!?:confused::D

But thanks for the welcome anyway!!;)

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Every time I think I'm "full" I still end up with more. Trust me, there is always room for more. I share my 1-bedroom apartment with 1 scorpion, 1 turtle, 2 cats, 2 lizards, 10 snakes, some fish, some millipedes, and several breeding colonies of insects (cockroaches, superworms) to feed my herps. Trust me - you aren't full yet ;)

15. cate0404

cate0404 Member

Oh My Lord!!!! How do you move???? Or do anything???? I am literally quite stunned that you have been able to fit all those animals into your home!:)

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! And she isn't one of the more elaborate ones!
    It can get interesting!
    I have told my wife to be ready to bury me in the back yard when I die. Because I am not moving ever again!
    Unless I win the lottery, and buy me a mountain top!
    Then I will just hire somebody to do the moving. ;)

17. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Some people would call us crazy! (lol) Leo's and Cresties are the much smaller lizard in the reptile world...I own both, and love the little guys! It's not as bad as it sounds to have a few!

Welcome, hope you stay!

18. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Ha! Three boys (10, 5, and 5), a beagle x basset hound, a crestie, a tomato frog, 2 leopard geckos, a golden gecko, 4 Grey's tree frogs, two adult scorpions, 4 scorplings, a bin full of dubias, occasionally "frognut" and her brilliant zombie killing son - I wouldn't rule anything out! Not only will this forum support a herp addiction but you may meet a few friends!

19. cate0404

cate0404 Member

If I win the lotto, there will be a whole room of exotic and interesting animals, but until then I seriously don't know how you guys fit them all in! Everywhere I look in my home is full. Although I might offer a child in return for a bearded dragon and then I could take over their room!!:p:D

I looked up the cresties - very cute!!

20. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

You can stop right there... we have you at, 'as sorry as I am".... muhahahahahahahahaha

Cresties ARE adorable, and they don't even take up that much room. I'll bet you have a shelf (on a book case) or spare spot that a lovely planted tank, complete with a Crested Gecko would just be PERFECT... >:)

Don't worry.... we're just here to help! o:)