This Disappears When Logged In

Another new baby

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'd like to introduce you all to "Crichton" our other new baby Morelia viridis "Sorong". This is NOT the one we reserved in Paris. (We'll be picking her up on the 24th)

This one is Swiss captive-bred from a reputable breeder. "He" (we hope he's a he and the one in Paris is a female) is 10 months old and still really tiny... just 38g!

He's just starting to get some tinges of green so perhaps he's starting his color change.
    I hope you like looking at him as much as we do!!!

PS -- he was named after John Crichton from the great SciFi series "Farscape"... (we're naming the French one "Aeryn" after another character in that show.)
    PPS -- This is my husband's favorite species (which is why he is paying for both babies)! ;) :D

[​IMG][/IMG]

Here's a pic to show his size... we thought he'd stay curled up on the piece of bamboo, but he decided to explore my arm instead!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

And here's a nice shot of his head... cute little moustache he has there, huh?
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

OMG I am so jealous....I want one......he is beautiful Andrea..... Lyn

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

WOW Andrea it's amazing !!!! I want I want I want

4. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

WOW,congratulations to the new baby!Sooo cute!It's amazing that he's so calm on your arm;they are known for biting a lot (so I read and heard),but I guess if you get them as babies,they seem to getting used to being handled!Good luck with both!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And so yet another member falls off the herp addiction wagon! :p
    Looks great Andrea!

6. BlackJack

My thousandth post!

Thanks for all your nice comments on Crichton (pronounced "kry-ton")
    Jacky, he is not as sweet and harmless as he looks -- he's VERY defensive inside the terrarium but when he's out (with the help of a snake hook ;) ), he's pretty calm and curious.
    We won't be taking him out unless absolutely necessary... they're not really a "handling" type of snake. We took the pics just before putting him into his new home.

And here it is. It's actually the first self-built terrarium I made that ended up being too small for Talyn to move into. Their future big display terrarium is definitely tooooooooo huge for Crichton at the moment, so that will stay empty for now.
    I split this one into two almost identical enclosures. The middle wall is removable for when they out-grow it, but I imagine they'll be happy in here for the next year or so.
    The ventilation holes on the front don't line up nicely anymore. We had to add another just to the left of center... a small eye-sore but couldn't be helped!
    When we get Aeryn, she'll move into the one on the left. She's only 2.5 months old so we had to put thinner branches in hers. (At the moment her terrarium is missing the heat lamp and protective lamp cage. I'll install those this week.)
    If you look closely you can see Crichton curled up in the right enclosure just in front of the brown hook on the slanted branch.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Hope you like it!

7. venus

venus Founding Member

Beautiful Andrea, your such a teaser. lol Keep taking those pics, cant wait to see the color changes.

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

You have a husband who likes snakes enough that he'll buy them willingly because HE likes them??? Wow! You're SO lucky! :p

Absolutely beautiful baby snake!

****ok - begin mantra now: "can't have any more snakes" *breathe deeply* "can't have any moe snakes" *breathe deeply* "husband will KILL wife who wants more snakes" *breathe deeply again* :rolleyes:

9. BlackJack

Thanks Juliane... Martin is the best! I am more than SOOOOOOO lucky! :D
    Of course he'll only willingly buy GTPs so far, but he's willing to drive 6 hours each way to pick one up! :eek:
    Also he set up the thermostats and timers in all the terrariums and monitors them carefully. And yesterday he created an Excel file to monitor all 4 snakes (feeding, stool, weight, length, shed, terrarium clean, water changes, vet, etc) and then took all my record books from last September and spent the morning filling in all the information. Now we have the best overview of all the animals on one sheet. (one sheet has one month on it.)
    What a guy, huh? :D

However, these are all the snakes we're getting (why do I think no one is going to believe that? ;) ), so once we get Aeryn will have the same amount as you have, Juliane.
    Keep those breathing exercises going... let us know if it helps! :p

10. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Very nice Andrea!! I love GTPs :)

This is in no way meant as a critisism so I hope you don't take it that way...the viv that you have Crichton in at the min IMO is way to big for the little fella...and will certainly be too big for Aeryn when you get her....what are the dimensions of the vivs? And what kind of enclosures have they been used to? ie size?
    The reason I ask is you may have problems feeding them due to the stress of such a large enclosure. All the people that I know with GTPs keep adults in a 2ft cube, althought IMO 3ft of height would be better.

Stunning little snakes :)

11. CallaLily42

CallaLily42 Member

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

12. BlackJack

No offense taken, Joe. We were REALLY surprised to see how tiny he was at 10.5 months. But actually our terrarium is a bit smaller than the one he was in... ours is maybe a bit wider but less high. The dimensions of the one he's in now are 60cm x 60cm x 72 cm (LWH)
    We've left him in there to acclimate and he might be going into shed, so it'll be about a week or so before we try feeding him. I don't expect problems with him... but we're sorted and ready with smaller plastic boxes if necessary.
    I'm pretty sure Aeryn is in a sterilite-type plastic tub. We'll see what size she's used to and are prepared to have her in a smaller box too.

Thanks for the "heads up". Martin has really done his homework on GTPs. Now it'll just be a matter of seeing how theory and reality match up. :rolleyes:

PS --Crichton's mother was alone in a floor-to-ceiling enclosure that was about 120cm x 120cm x 230cm. It was a beautiful setup and she seemed "queen of her domain" proudly curled up in the very center of it. It would be hard to imagine her in a 2ft cube, but I guess they can adapt to whatever they're used to. However, you're right, with such tiny babies it'll be important not to freak them out.
    I'll keep you posted!!! :)

13. Joe

Joe Elite Member

You should have no probs then if he is used to a bigger enclosure. Yeah they take thier time getting big don't they lol

I'm sure that enclosure you mentioned was fantastic and I would like more display vivs but alas space won't allow it.

Good luck with him and lets us know how he gets on....and remember....lots of pics :D

14. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

Wow Andrera absolutley beautiful! GTP's are sooo awesome, didnt think he would be so small at 10.5 months though well Good luck and keep up posted when his colors start to change!

15. BlackJack

Hmmm actually Martin just corrected me -- Crichton will only be 10 months old on the 24th of June. So he's a bit younger than I thought. :eek:
    He seems so small at the moment, but his mother was 4 years old (her first clutch) and she seemed huge (I'm guessing around 2 kg)! So somewhere between now and 4 years old, he's going to have a growth spurt or two! :)

We'll keep you all well supplied with pics. Thanks for the nice comments. We think he's stunning too.
    Joe, I'll definitely keep an eye out for any signs of stress and let you know how it goes with the first feedings. I'm a big fan of display terrariums, but it comes at the cost of fewer herps or bigger apartments!! ;)

16. BlackJack

Hunting pose

More pics of Crichton, settling in nicely:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    And here is a pic of Crichton that Martin took last night. After the lights went out, he started to get a bit more active -- wiggling his tail and holding his head in a "ready to strike" position". :cool:
    I've read that the babies tend to wiggle their tails to make it look like worms to attract small lizards, which in the wild, make up the majority of the diet for the younger GTPs. It's only when they're older that they switch to rodents. Crichton has been fed pinkie mice and seems to be OK with them.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.