This Disappears When Logged In

Another Little Gem (Herald Snake)

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Reptilius, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Reptilius

Reptilius Active Member

These snakes are among the most aggressive to be found in my neck of the woods. They rarely exceed 80cm and are more aggresive than the biggest Black Mamba. They strike and bite readily at first but soon settle down. I get called a lot during Spring and Summer to relocate them as they are also a very prolific species. They eat Toads, Frogs, Lizards and Geckos and are classified as Mildly Venomous, but the worst case scenario I have heard of is Shock and once an Allergic Reaction which produced Nausea and a Rash around the Bite Site. I myself have been bitten more than a few times by this species, and only because I catch them with my bare hands.

Some Pics

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00723.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00902-1.jpg

DSC01216.jpg

Attached Files:

2. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

That last picture is really cool. Very beautiful snake!

3. Reptilius

Reptilius Active Member

They are Gluttons, and I have found that once they have started swallowing the prey item, as long as you move slowly, calmly and deliberately, you can pick them up and they just keep on swallowing, as the case in the last pic.

4. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Very cool pics, Thanks or sharing!!!

5. Mulder

Mulder Well-Known Member

That gluttony probably helps when relocating them. I love the eye color and head markings!

6. Reptilius

Reptilius Active Member

That one curled around my fingers was a bit peeed off, this is evidenced by the inflated throat.