This Disappears When Logged In

Another Empty Tank Thread

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by mimo91088, Sep 23, 2016.

1. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

I always see these threads, like I'm sure everyone here does, but mine is a bit more specific of a request.

I am planning to home something in a standard 40 gallon breeder, but I don't know what. I have plenty of supplies to set it up however I need to.

I'm looking for something relatively uncommon. I know all about leos, corns, etc that are the usual suggestions.

Does anyone have any suggestions for herps that you don't see as often?

I always feel like there's stuff out there that I've never heard about. Can't learn if you don't ask!

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I have 30 new baby Dominican red mountain boas that will be needing homes soon. Definitely not a common snake, and you could keep one in a 40 breeder for at least several years before you'd want to upgrade the enclosure size. Very docile even as babies, I've only ever been bitten once by an adult male that I was hand feeding. He struck my hand instead of the f/t rat pup (should have dangled it by the tail) but otherwise they never strike or bite. May musk if startled or not used to handling, but that's the worst you can expect from them. Adult size is around 7-8', females are thicker-bodied. Slender like a rat snake, also semi-arboreal and love to climb. Colors and patterns are variable, even change a bit between day and night, and they won't show their adult colors until 2-3 years of age. Babies in particular need fairly high humidity, though not as much as rainbow boas. I use cypress mulch for substrate to maintain humidity.
    Here's some pics, first up is a high red adult male, one of the breeders of the 2 litters of babies:
    P1070013_zpsd02jjfzs.jpg

Here's the 2 females, the grey one in front had just dropped the babies in the 10 gallon tank they're sitting on top of:
    P1070072_zpst8y5bhlj.jpg
    Another male, not showing his best colors in this pic, but good indication of his size:
    P1060795_zpswv8lmjhi.jpg

The other female, she just dropped her babies 10 days ago, first litter are nearly a month old now:
    P1060622_zpsm6g1cmuw.jpg

Baby doing a tree boa imitation on a stick about the diameter of a sharpie:
    P1070100_zpsnbvvoev9.jpg

They're 18" long and 14-15 grams at birth:
    P1070098_zpsphbjq83u.jpg

Currently housed in 6 qt shoebox tubs:
    1e5b034e-9107-4634-9426-55689346c401_zpsy9bh6dqx.jpg

3. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I would suggest red eye crocodile skinks but they only need a 20 or so. Perhaps you could get a basalisk. I'm not sure if they can be kept in a 40 though, I've seen them kept in any where from a 10 gallon to a 6 gallon long viv so maybe look into it a little.

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

A basalisk needs far more room than any fish tank can provide.

Merlin likes this.