This Disappears When Logged In

Another Calcium Dust Thread

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Alby, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Alby

Alby Elite Member

I'm sure the senior members will groan at the sight of another calcium supplement question, but I have been browsing both stores, herp scientific journals, and forums and I'm not finding the answers I want.

I have a leopard gecko and, being nocturnal, I know I need a calcium supplement with D3 because they don't spend enough time in daylight to make their own. I had been doing some research for a term paper though, and found a brief discussion of a case study on D3 overdose in reptiles causing calcium deposits to accumulate in organ tissue. I have not been able to find much else on the subject including how much D3 is too much. To be safe I wanted to pick up a d3-free supplement to replace the powder I have available in the tank (I will continue to dust all feeders with the d3-included), but I haven't been able to find any that do not have either magnesium or cellulose products.

Does anyone have any calcium supplement brands available in Canada that are gecko safe? Also, does anyone have any info on D3-overdosing in herps?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Thanks Mld. I've seen all except the last one in stores (which appears to be the one I need). :( Stupid Edmonton... I guess I'll just have to order it.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That's the one that is always sold out when I need it too, I just order on-line! I have also tried the exo-terra calcium, and there is also the T-rex brand.
    The T-rex one has no phosphorus which is good and the Exo terra is low in phosphorus!

T-Rex

Exo Terra : Calcium / Calcium Powder Supplement

5. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

I'm a huuuuge fan of Repashy products.

The Repashy Calcium Plus is an all-in-one supplement that provides balanced levels of calcium, d3 and other nutrients.

Repashy also makes no-d and low-d formulas that are just calcium and varying levels of D3.

Miner-All Indoor is also a good choice.

FYI, the safe level for nocturnal animals such as crested or leopard geckos should be supplemented with around 4,000 IU/KG of vitamin d3. One gram of pure vitamin D3 is 40,000,000 International Units (IU), where one IU is equivalent to 0.025 μg (micrograms).

6. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

If you want just calcium, you can also buy cuttlebone intended for pet birds, and powder it yourself.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or just buy human calcium tablets at the vitamin section and crush the tablets.

8. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Thanks all. I didn't even think of the cuttlebone... thats a good idea. I've been browsing the human vitamin section Merlin and, unfortunately, all of them have extra cellulose and alcohol products as binding agents and I would prefer to keep those away from the young one. :(

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Try the health food store.
    And as for the D3 toxicity, you dust your feeders with the D3 and the calcium lick should be plain calcium.

10. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

I use Jamison brand pure calcium tablets for humans for our iguana as Merlin suggested. So much cheaper if you don't mind the time to crush them. I just use a blender takes about 30 seconds to crush 1650 mg worth.

11. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Sorry 16500 mg lol

12. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Thanks I'll keep my eye out for that one. So far not much luck in the health stores but I have some on order through a little family-run petshop.