This Disappears When Logged In

Another Birth Sandboa Style!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Jflores, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

So cute! I love your hold backs, that one with the reduced pattern/stripe (top one in the 1st pic) is Amazing! Something I would defintally keep around too.

2. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Thanks everyone!! They truly are a handful and today is feeding day for everyone, as you can imagine our herp grocery list is massive!!!!

@Schmidt1894, I am only keeping the three holdbacks. Once everyone has had at least 3 to 4 meals and are deemed healthy by my Herp Vet, I will be selling the rest of the litter.

@Susan, Thanks that is also my favorite fortunately he/she is the only one with such a defined stripe, and the other two are the only dark ones within the litter…I cannot wait to see how they look once they hit breeding size!!

3. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Dang, J. I am kind of glad I don't have that grocery list... I can only imagine the small fortune just the babies are costing. lol

How many clutches/hatchlings are there in total now? lol

4. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Hey Katie, LOL.... it's not that bad.. But a the same time it is lol....... that's why I always tell beginners if you are going to breed any reptile to make sure they have sufficient space and funds because there will be a point where it gets pricey ..

Fortunately, I decided to only work on 3 clutches this season, 2 bally pythons and one litter of Sandboas.. As far as new mouths to feed, I have 7 baby ball pythons who just finished shedding, 17 sand boas who also finished shedding and by this time next week my final clutch of ball pythons should hatch and if everything goes well that's another 4 babies...so in total I have o_O "let me catch my breath" 24 babies to feed now and 28 to feed within the next week or so....I am very thankful that I decided to open up a separate account for my herps LMAO!!! and I am sure Dee is happy that I was stubborn enough to build a 30 slot Hatchling rack!!!

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

If you need extra help, I can always come to Florida and help cuddle and feed your babies.

6. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Michele, I am also willing to volunteering my help. Haha Maybe I can get two buddy passes for us to fly down. :D

J, that is WAY too many mouths to feed. I am stressing with just 6 critters that seem to always be hungry. Ry is a black hole after all. lol

7. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Geez, and here I feel like a B&B keeper everyday, toting out bugs and such to 2 water dragons, a Jones, a pacman frog, and 6 anoles. Haha.

8. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Michele, Too funny. I would love for everyone to come on by. That way we can set up a nice picnic area at the beach and talk snakes and stuff while enjoying the crazy S. Florida weather.

Katie, like I said it’s all part of the business but I know what you mean. Fortunately, Dee and I are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to our extended family so we know what to do and how to do it.. For example today was the big day for our first clutch of ball pythons it was feeding day and as expected all but one took. As for these little critters I asked my “rat” dude to hook me up with pinkies only to find out that all his pinkies where growing fur and sadly that means that they are too big for the KSB thankfully he managed to contact his supplier and ordered me about 20 blood pinkies for Tuesday the soonest.. I know what you mean I got my sis a bearded dragon a couple of months ago and let me tell you that dragon is a bottomless pit!!!!!

Jacci, too funny, you should see Dee and I on feeding day.. It’s the funniest sight, right after work we go to our reptile shop to pick up feeders and talk business..When it’s time to leave Dee is carrying bags of Rat fuzzies, mice fuzzies, and crickets while I’m carrying out boxes of rat pups, small rats, adult mice and hoppers….thankfully I get the friend hookup and it’s doesn’t hurt the wallet that much…

9. CentriRitanni

I don't have snakes now, so I only get a pinkie every week or so (really, whenever I feel like fetching one). But this is always fun: "Mkay, 3 dubias for you Herp, 1 worm for you Perp, 8 dubias for you PPE, 3 roaches for you Waka, handful of roaches for the anoles, and back to Herp (I make rounds so they don't get overwhelmed with food). 4 crickets for Herp, 6 dubias for Perp, oh, I see you've found an earthworm PPE, well here's 8 crickets for you, 5 crickets for Waka, and 12 crickets for the anoles... and back to Perp." You get the idea. I keep cycling through until there are feeders left in the take for more than an hour. At that point, I take out the feeders. For the dragons, I will usually try this routine at least twice a day, sometimes as many as 4. They let me know when they're done. :)

Yesterday Perp bit me. She's pretty small and it barely cut me. Anyway, today I gave PPE a pinkie mouse... apparently she didn't want a WHOLE pinkie mouse, so she bit it in half. I've heard of them doing this, but never seen it. I had a O.O "Oh..." moment, and was glad my thumb was not defleshed. :-"

10. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

WoW, that sounds like a crazy routine, Thankfully our routine is a bit more simpler. Everyone eats on the same day with the exceptions of my geckos and Western hognoses. The westerns eat every Weds and Fri, due to their crazy appetite, and the geckos eat every-other day. After everyone is fed, Ill head back to the kitchen and get something to eat for myself, after 40 minutes or so I will go back to the reptile room and remove any uneaten rats/mice.

o_O, that must have been a interesting sight and a holy cr** that could have been my finger moment..

11. CentriRitanni

Dragons are fed every day, anoles and Waka every 3 days, Herp every 6 days. It's not every day that's that crazy, just every sixth day. I got to the point that for each species I have a specific color of expo and I put a dot on my calendar to remind me where I'm at.

It was. Well, more like a mixture of, "Wow, I'm glad Perp isn't bigger" and "Hmm, maybe it was just a love nip... could've been worse..." We'll call it optimism, not naivety. :D

12. Reptilius

Reptilius Active Member

Congrats on the wee ones. KSB are on my bucket list.

13. Jango501

Jango501 New Member

thats pretty awesome. i love KSBs :] what are u going to do with them? do you sell them?

14. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Jacci, I know exactly what you mean. My feeding schedule is somewhat the same. Every other day I feed my geckos (AFT's, cresteds’, and leopards), every Wednesday and Friday the Hognoses', every Friday All the ball pythons, cornsnakes and Sandboas.

@ Reptilius, Thanks... I have to admit, these little ones are awesome!!! They all have crazy personalities, some are aggressive, some are puppy dog tame, and others are brats.

@Jango501, well for the time being they are all staying with me till they’ve had a couple of meals, but eventually they will be re-homed.

15. CentriRitanni

I'm down to four babies, including the boys, so life is easier now. One dragon, one Jones. Phew! Now is where I pretend that I'm not going to have just as many if not more when I'm mended. :D Yay feigned naivety!