This Disappears When Logged In

Anorexic Leopard Gecko Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by highgate vet, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highgate vet

highgate vet New Member

I am a companion animal vet, faced with an anorexic gecko in this mornings consults. Since my knowledge is not great on geckos I logged on to goggle and found this site. Any ideas of how to help 'Tails' would be great. Tails is a 3 year old leopard gecko, sex unknown. It is 68g and looked in good body condition but has not eaten for a month. At first the owner thought that it was shedding - she was right, it has, but has not started to eat again. It appears to be blind, not noticing food and bumping into things. One eye looks quite normal but the iris in the other looks swollen. It's diet is crickets and wax worms, with calcium powder. Any ideas?

Just reading the site I have already learned alot and will check the tank management with her.

Thanks in anticipation

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

re: Anorexic Leopard Gecko Help!

Definatley get tank specs from her, we would be able to help you better once we know temps,tank size, humidity levels, substrate and lighting used. Also when was the last time it defecated?

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

re: Anorexic Leopard Gecko Help!

A 68 gram leopard gecko isn't under weight. Some leopard gecko owners can't get their leopard geckos weight above 50 grams, so there is no reason for immediate concern just yet.

As for the lack of appetite, there could be several reasons.

Right off the bat, the temperatures should be checked. If the gecko is too cool, it can stop eating. The same goes for if the gecko is too warm.

Pending the temps are ok, a fecal should be run to rule out parasites.

You stated that one of the eyes were swollen and it appears that the gecko is blind. Is this person using a UV light with their leopard gecko? If they are, the gecko could have photo-kerato-conjunctivitis.

UVB in excess is just as dangerous than providing not enough for reptiles that require it. For a species like the leopard gecko that does not require UVB, exposure above 3-5 uWcm2 could begin to have an opposite effect.

The swelling could also be caused by a foreign object. Do they use sand as a substrate? There could be a particulate trapped, causing irritation.

Infection is also a possibility for a swollen eye.

I hope you keep us updated on this. Good luck.

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Re: Anorexic Leopard Gecko Help!

Welcome to HC! Hope everything works out well for your patient! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.