This Disappears When Logged In

Anne Might Be Blind?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Maaso, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Anne, my brown anole is sick.

I changed the light on the anoles(did some moving/separating when Mallory turned out to be a guy) and I think Anne is having a bad time with it. She was exposed to it for three days or so before I noticed something was wrong.

It's like...her eyes are swollen. The first day everything was fine, the second day I noticed something was bothering her, thought she was about to shed, then the third day..her eyes were closed. And had some crusty stuff up around them. I think it's light related since it just happened when I changed the light(they were in there nine days before the light change) I have her in with a green anole that I had to separate from the rest of the group. And he is doing fine.

I called the vet I took my Tokay to, she told me to put ONE drop of saline lubricant(Visine) on her little eyes everyday. It's hard to though, since it just runs off. And when I put her down afterwards, she rubs her face in the substrate to get it off. Now I just hold her while its soaking in.

She hasn't eaten anything that I've seen since this all happened....almost two weeks, which would kill any other animal, but she is still fat. As far as I know, the only water she is drinking is from me. I dab my finger, and rub it around her lips, and she licks it off. I hold her a lot now and she gets scared, since she can't see, and she will open her mouth and rear up at me trying to scare her away. I tried to put a cricket in her mouth. She took it, chewed it a few times. Then spit it out.

I'm keeping her in with my other greens, since that's where she was first, and that light never gave her any problems...if it is the light. And today when I got home, she was out in the middle of the tank (she usually hides under logs or leaves) just staring straight up at the light with her mouth open.

I don't know what to do, the eye drops don't seem to be doing anything. I DEFINITLY don't have money to take her to a vet, I asked my mum for some, and she was like "That be a far dollar leezard, buy anothern" yeah, her brogue is thicker than mine. So she won't loan me any money, and school starts up soon so I can't be here all day anymore to watch her.

Should I wait longer to see if she gets better, I know it sounds cruel. But I want to come home and find her lifeless in the tank, just so I know she won't be suffering anymore.

I know this post is long, I just love her and want her to be right again. Do y'all have any ideas?

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not a lizard expert nor a vet. But if I were in your situation, I would separate her from all of your other lizards (just in case it is contagious). Also keep her on a substrate like paper towels, so she can't irritate her eyes by rubbing stuff into them.
    I'm sure some other anole keepers will be along with more advice. Good luck with her.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Some fluorescent UVB bulbs have been known to cause eye problems - what did you change to?

4. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

The same one I've always used. Repti-glo(I think)2.0, or what ever brand they sell at Petco. Its the 18" tube kind.

I read somewhere that they need to be replaced every 6 months or so, and I don't have one of those little UV guages that measures the stuff they put out. It has been about 9 months, so I figured I would change it.

I noticed my anole is greener too, though it might just be the light being brighter.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

well, you don't have the light that causes issues. Its both eyes? You can also try turtle eye drops.

6. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Yeah, its both eyes. She just won't open them. And I wasn't sold on the light being the problem, just wondering since it happened around the same time I changed them.

I'll aquire some of those turtle eye drops tomorrow.

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I hope Anne's blindness is not permanent. Please keep us up to date.

8. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

Ok, I got some of those turtle eye drops a few days ago. I don't know if she is doing any better. She is getting around the tank just fine though, but I still don't think she can see that well. I place a finger on the side of her head, by either eye. And she don't react, you know how most lizards will jerk away, and give it a weird look. She just sits there. Her eyes aren't opening up any. But they do look cleaner.

One thing I noticed today, when I opened the tank to get her. She was staring straight up at the light, with her mouth open. And she had this little patch of black in her mouth. She isn't doing it now, she is basking on the hot area over the UTH.

Is that something I should worry about too?

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I have a very limited knowledge of lizards, but I think a trip to the vet is in order. That black spot in her mouth would cause me to worry until I knew what it was.

10. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I wish I could take her to the vet, that is just out of the question right now.

11. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

What kind of substrate are you using? Make sure that you don't have any dust or sand around them because it can irritate their eyes, and consider feeding him food and water through a clean syringe. I'm going through a similar problem, and that's what the vet suggested. The food we feed is baby food we break it down with some water and add a little calcium in. Mostly Turkey and Chicken. For future reference reptiles can get more expensive than dogs and cats...You should always put some money aside every week to make sure you can take them to the vet if they are suffering from some sort of illness.. Vet bills can get expensive ...I've spent over 400 dollars in the last 5 months alone trying to get my gecko back to good health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.