This Disappears When Logged In

Animal Rights Activists Hopping Mad Over Frog-o-sphere Kits

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Merlin, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Controversy over the sale of "frog-o-sphere" kits has reached Windsor, with an online petition to get one store to stop carrying them gaining almost 400 signatures in one day.

Animal rights activists hopping mad over kits

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hm, they only fed the frogs 2 pellets twice a week? I am kind of conflicted about these...if someone buys one and properly cares for the frog inside then I'm all for it, it can be a good learning experience for a kid. But it sounds like the frogs are neglected in the stores and at the homes of purchasers. Wouldn't a child gain more from setting up a proper enclosure for a frog, at first learning about temps, humidity and natural environment then once the set up is stable getting the frog?

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Those kits really are pretty bad. I had one when I was little, and looking back it really wasn't an appropriate habitat for a frog at all. It was all plastic with no substrate or anything and just a little water pool. And the worst part was that the plastic top just snapped onto the base and was not at all secure. My cat was able to pry it off with ease and eat all my frogs. :(

4. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Hmm ive never heard one of these. Its a habitat of some sort?

5. Merlin

See thats the rub. They are marketing these frogs in a few ounces of water as a self contained ecosystem!
    And they have a ready standby of "replacement frogs" for when the frogs you just bought die!
    I have seen these things in a kiosk at the mall around christmas time and most of the animals were half dead then.
    Yes sir! The perfect gift for little Johnny or little Suzie! A dead frog in box of sour water!
    Check this out!
    Frog-O-Sphere Ecosystem - THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS GIFT!! (NJ, NY & PA) - $35 - Howell, New Jersey

6. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Ah yes. I see how giving children (notorious for touching and playing with things they are not supposed to) a plastic box full of water with hands-off animals inside would be an ideal Christmas gift. Oops, some sarcasm just dripped off my chin.

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

8. Merlin

It's the same thing.

9. purplemuffin

Hahaha, I see. My bad--I saw a frog o sphere kit here that was made by a different company, I assumed that was the one you meant. :)

10. Merlin

These things aren't really new. There was a product out some years ago that was claiming the same "ecosystem in a container" scam. This one was a completely sealed sphere with a little algae inside and some brine shrimp. Their spiel was that you could keep it going indefinately by just letting the algae have a little sunlight to grow and produce oxygen and the shrimp would eat the algae, yada yada yada. So you put the spere in sunlight to feed the algae and it overheated the shrimp (which are a cold water species). Your "ecosystem" ended up a ball full of soup!

11. purplemuffin

They still sell those! It's just nasty! I don't get it.

12. mshrmheadcharge

Yuck, I'd hate to smell that soup.

13. Merlin

You wouldn't smell it like I said it is a sealed container. You could not even get into it without just smashing it open.

14. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

I had an environmental biology college course years and years ago where one of the assignments was to put together a self-sustained aquatic eco system. We were to research plants and animals that would be a "best fit" for the type of ecosystem, had to have a certain number of plants and animals (mine had some java ferns and a snail and a fish). I was really excited about the project, but after 2 weeks Fishie died and the water was disgusting. :( I totally cried in front of the whole class. I was 19.

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

16. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Lol i so wanted one of those goldfish key chains. I have a great way to make some money.

Sealed plastic ball and feeder fish .5 at the stores here
    ????
    Profit

Fool proof plan lol

17. mshrmheadcharge

The turtle keychains just make me sick.