This Disappears When Logged In

Anaconda Cage Size

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by CornyBoa, Feb 27, 2013.

1. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

I am not getting an anaconda now! however, I would eventually like to get one of these animals because they are facinating to me but tight now I simply do not have the space or resource to take on the responisbility of such a large snake. I was wondering what the recommended caging size for an adult male or female anaconda would be? Considering they can get anywhere from 15-25 ft would you need a room to keep one in? What would you feed a 25 foot snake? A small cow or something?

2. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

What kind of anaconda are you thinking about? But, you would need a room-sized enclosure and I think you would feed it rabbits and guinea pigs. I can't think of any larger thing that you could feed it (legally). You would want to have the cage/room the length of the snake but you can go smaller if you needed too. These snakes aren't arboreal at all so you don't need the cage to be high.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok I feel like the size of the enclosure should be "take the square footage of your house, divide in half and Tada! You have a cage!"

Now as far as food it would be very expensive. Guinea pigs aren't big enough for an adult. Rabbits are a possibility but turkeys and pigs would be a better food source. More than likely approrpriate sozed pigs would be best. But have fun thawing those! If you lived next to a slaughterhouse you could probably get fresh killed once a week or so.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

8-10 ft long, 4-5 ft wide, 3-4 ft tall. They can eat anything from rabbits to goats. They will also need half of that cage to be filtered water like 12" deep. They mainly live in water only coming out to bask. It'll need to be heated, water including. I would not buy one if you ever plan on moving. You would not be able to move the cage. This would be the proper way to house, of course. Anything different would be cruel.

I recommend spending a day with a full grown one to see what your really getting into. Clean cage, mess with one. Price feed, heat needed to house one this big, etc. Check local and state laws, most places either a) Require a permit to be obtained, or b) Will in the future. If you don't think it will happen to you, so did Ohio. Now its 300.00, FBI/BCI check, liability insurance, etc to get a permit. (300 per year). These animals also live for 20+ years.

This is something that needs a lot of thought put in before you get one. They aren't a one day decide, I want an Anaconda snake. While you may be fine with all this, its good to know ahead of time esp stuff you don't think of.

Take all this from someone who has large snakes. It's a lot of work.

5. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

Never raised an Anaconda but I have raised Reticulated pythons to full growth. And take TJOHNSONS they take way more time energy and experience than alot of people think. As far as feeding one I fed my Retics baby lambs every 10 days to two weeks but I also live in the country next to alot of farms so food wasn't expensive for me but it will be if you don't have it readily available. And my personal opinion is yes they need an entire room to themselves, the more room you can give them the better. But again like TJOHNSON said are you ready to have a small swimming pool in your house???

6. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

Thanks for the advise! Like I stated, I'm not getting one now, maybe 5-10 yrs down the raod when I have more expirience and more room to house one but I figured I'd better start doing my homework now so I know what I'm getting myself into before I make a long term commitment. TJOHSON can you order frozen goats or would you need to get them from a farm of some type?

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Ordering in frozen goats would be very expensive.
    You will have to find a farm where you can get them regularly and then find a way to kill them humanely. Dead bolt gun would be the best way to go. It shoots out a metal bolt into the brain and then retracts the bolt. So you don't have any metal in the animal.
    Could you do that? Every 10-14 days kill a goat, lamb or pig to feed it?

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

About a 40 lb pig!

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you live close to a slaughterhouse or farm that kills off their animals before shipping you might be able to just have them kill it for you for a fee.

10. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

I don't mind killing things, I do it all the time hunting! but i did find a site called monster feeders that sells pigs up to 30 lbs frozen but I can imagine the shipping must be outrageous! Is there an intermediate snake that wouldn't reguire as much work but would give a feel for what caring for an anaconda would require?

11. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I don't have any expeRience with them personally, but alot of water snakes are supposed to have bad attitudes, and they don't get anything close to an anaconda in size.

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

A Boa or Burmese. The Burmese full size can eat rabbits which are more readily available. Still get big just not as big.

13. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

The bad part about that is the expenses....but you would only have to feed them once a month if you were to feed an anaconda a pig or turkey...

Get a Red-Tailed Boa. They get 6-10 feet and are very docile.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Green Anacondas are simply a huge undertaking. Not only is there the housing and feeding of said semi-aquatic snake, the likelihood of finding an exotics vet that does house calls is very slim. How are you going to move a snake that could weigh in at over 200lbs? to take it to the vet? to renovate it's enclosure? to take it with you if you move? to dispose of it once it dies?

Anacondas are also known for their short tempers. How would you subdue a 200+ pound snake having a tantrum at you?

In the wild, they eat a very broad variety of things, including caiman, capybara, etc. In captivity, you'd need pigs or such for large adult, though I imagine you could raise a young one on rodents for the first parts of it's life. I have seen cavies at some trade shows though, which is probably the closest you could get to a capybara, but the price is ridiculous - $300/each.

Many institutions and zoos have Green anacondas. You may want to look into their enclosures, and see what they have set up for them. It's a starting place anyways.

15. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

Already got one :)

16. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

17. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I love that guide.

18. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

Excellent resource, thanks for the link!