This Disappears When Logged In

An Evolutionary Question if You Will

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Reptoid, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reptoid

Reptoid Elite Member

Just as a general disclaimer I am a firm believer in evolution.

Reptiles are some of the most successful animals on earth. They've thrived for millions of years in a variety of environments where it's warm.

My question is why haven't reptiles evolved to become warm blooded? You would think after the temps started to drop after the extinction of the dinosaurs you would think they would evolve to be warm blooded in order to deal with cooler temps.

Also, why do reptiles have multi bone jaws while mammals only have one bone that makes up their lower jaw?

2. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

I don't remember if I had the chance to welcome you aboard, if not, welcome! You may find some interesting posts in several of our forums that we've some interesting debates about subjects that 'surround' your posting. Check out; Captive Bred vs Wild Caught, For the Love of the Hunt, and Bringing Back an Extinct Species. They may be right up your alley? Good reading, sometimes a little drawn out, but mostly good posts. Have fun!

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You ask some strong questions there kiddo.

4. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

I know for certain that he must watch the Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, History Channel, etc.,etc. I know he also subscribes to National Geographic, or Scientific American, and my favorite, The Smithsonian! (Prove me right on one pick, please)

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The answer is simple for me.
    They were created that way.;)

But who says warm-blooded is better than cold-blooded. Maybe in some instances.

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)
    Being exothermic has worked for millions of years so there is probably no need to further evolve into being warm blooded.

7. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

The answer to your question is they did, unfortunately none of them exist any more. The dinosaurs and the therapsids (the group of reptiles that dominated the planet before the dinosaurs and eventually lead to the evolution of mammals) were warm blooded. And if you want to get technical they still do exist as the bird who evolved from the dinosaurs and the mammals who evolved from the therapsids still exist and dominate the planet like their truly reptilian ancestors once did millions of years ago.

8. Reptoid

Reptoid Elite Member

Haha, a lot of people tell me I ask tough questions. Actually I watch a lot of discovery, history, and animal planet. I also want to go into evolutionary biology so, this is stuff I'm going to be asking:).

9. Reptoid

Reptoid Elite Member

Sorry to double post!

It's a shame therapsids didn't last:(. They were very amazing animals, as were pelycosaurs.

10. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Go for it! It's all good stuff. Take all you can.

11. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Being exothermic has its advantages. Not needing to run an internal "furnace" means that reptiles need a lot less "fuel." So they can survive for much longer without food. There are probably other advantages as well.

Remember, evolution doesn't mean inexorable progress toward a "higher" life form. There are no "higher" life forms. Each life form that exists does so because (and for as long as) it is adapted to suit the conditions of its environment. Even in a single environment type, such as a desert or rainforest or arctic tundra, there are many niches for survival, which various organisms meet in myriad ways.

And to my mind, "believing in" evolution is a bit like "believing in" gravity. Acknowledging either (or both) in no way precludes believing that our universe may have been (or was, if you feel strongly about it) created by a supernatural power. If an omniscient, omnipotent being exists, creating the process of evolution and providing the material that makes life possible would be a simple activity for such a being to accomplish. Who knows, maybe evolution is that being's entertainment, and s/he or it enjoys watching to see how things turn out... :)

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Good points Amy! There are definate advantages to being "cold-blooded". Generating body heat is the thing that eats up the major part of the calories that warmblooded creatures must consume to keep going. That is why reptiles can go so long without eating. In a hostile landscape where food is scarce, having the capacity for one meal to last you for months is a very useful thing. A warm blooded creature in such a situation wouldn't last very long.

And they also do not require as much oxygen. That is why certain species can stay under water for amazingly long amounts of time.
    Also if it starts to cool off they just shut down for a while till it warms back up!
    As stated, they have survived the way they are, because it works for them.
    VERY well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

I would second Merlin's post,"VERY well put." and add; VERY, VERY well put!

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If you haven't already, you should get your hands on a copy of "The Dinosaur Heresies" by Robert Bakker. Very good book, Out of print I believe. You can probably get a used copy from amazon or something... wait. I have two copies. Look it up, and PM me if you are interested.

He also wrote a novel (good read) called "Raptor Red"

15. Reptoid

Reptoid Elite Member

I actually read raptor red. It was good. I haven't hear of "The Dinosaur Heresies". I look into it though. I might take you up on that second copy.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

One of the papers i wrote in college was about how i believed dinosaurs to be warm blooded. That book was my most frequently cited resource. Many people now commonly accept that dinosaurs were warm blooded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.