This Disappears When Logged In

Amusing News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoness, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Not sure how many of you saw the recent headlines about a Russian research satellite...

They wanted to observe how geckos would breed in zero gravity. I may be missing something, but I don't see what practical application this has...? I wonder if the geckos will actually breed, or if the zero G situation will totally throw them off.

UPDATED: There is a lizard sex satellite floating in space and Russia no longer has it under control - The Washington Post

Also found some footage of a snake in microgravity - which was amusing for us (not so much for the snake) Not sure if it's on the same satellite, or not.

http://sciencealert.com.au/features/20142807-25938.html

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Must have been a slow news day. For the leos, I have to wonder how they would adapt to moving at all, since they lack the sticky pads of some species, much less achieve mating. As for the snake, that was just one of those planes that kind of simulates zero g for a minute or so at a time by flying a stall so that they drop at a controlled rate. Kinda useless really, since the snake has no chance of adapting at all in such a short time, just gets to experience what falling a really long way without have to die at the end is like.

3. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

this is ridiculous! I came across this news a few days ago and I just don't understand why they're even trying to do this and what they think they will learn from it?
    AND!! What are the geckos eating? Where is their poop going? Do they have water?? Is there really a space pod with floating geckos, bugs, and poop?? ...this just doesn't seem fully thought through

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Lol, this made me laugh. But yeah, good point;)

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Agreed, makes me very curious about the setup and validity of this. Wonder if it's more a PR stunt than anything.

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I've been trying to reverse engineer the system. From my understanding on the same station they had fruit flies and something else. The pictures on the article I read showed a sticky pad type gecko which makes more sense than a leopard gecko.

Now if they had a large enough container, say something the size of an avg closet with plants (cant recall if plants where in the article), could the waste of the smaller geckos fertilize the plants? If you have a medium for FF cultures set on a times release you could have a continuous source of FF's.... If the culture was also formulated for the gecko's to lick at and get a rounder nutrient base...

The devil is in the details but I could see a base for the set up they may have used.... I've seen some goofy set up before and could see this going off and being skeptical of much any Govt has to say I could see it as a propaganda...

But maybe possible to achieve..

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I call BS on the whole thing!
    The geckos, in a 0 gravity environment couldn't even get to each other! Much less control their movements enough to mate!

And trying to feed while floating in the air?

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yeah, this is what makes me think that this is either the wrong gecko species or just a public relations stunt. That's what my earlier post was supposed to say by the way, not page ranking.

9. MikeVorn

MikeVorn Member

This is really cool and all, but I kinda feel bad for the little guys up there... :(

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yeah, i heard about that. Too bad, and I doubt any useful data was even obtained.