This Disappears When Logged In

Amsterdam Zoo's Reptiles

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by phrynosomatidae, Aug 15, 2012.

1. During a trip through eastern France and surrounding countries, I was able to reach Amsterdam in the Netherlands. I visited the zoo there and was surprised to find an impressive collection of reptiles. Unfortunately, no photos, but I made a list of the ones I saw.

(Please note that each name is derived from the zoo's namings, and they are English translations, so a few may be a bit off. If you find any mistakes, let me know and I'll fix it.)

Lizards:
    Chuckwalla
    Mexican beaded lizard
    African spiny-tailed agamid
    Schneider's skink
    Crocodile lizard
    Fiji banded iguana
    European green lizard
    Asian water dragon
    Tokay gecko
    Plated lizard
    Red-headed rock iguana
    Green tree monitor
    Shingleback skink
    Frilled lizard
    Bearded dragon
    Rhinoceros iguana
    Philippine sailfin dragon
    Green-crested basilisk
    Veiled chameleon
    Mexican bearded dragon
    Madagascar giant day gecko
    Zoutspanberg girdled lizard
    Parthenogenic rock lizard
    Gunther's leaf-tailed gecko
    Green iguana

Snakes:
    Viperine snake
    Gaboon viper
    Monocled cobra
    Green tree python
    Royal python (ball python)
    Boa constrictor

Turtles and Tortoises:
    African pancake tortoise
    European pond turtle
    Roti Island snake-necked turtle
    Chinese pond turtle
    Three-toed box turtle
    South American yellow-footed tortoise
    Elongated tortoise
    New Guinea snapping turtle
    Peninsular black turtle
    Aldabra giant tortoise
    Radiated tortoise
    Black pond tortoise

Crocodiles:
    False gavial

There were some more reptiles that on "limited display" but they were unlabeled and I did not recognize any of them.

Also, one of the terrariums was supposed to hold a glass lizard but, because the lizard in there had four visible appendages, I'm pretty sure they made a mistake.

Well if you find yourself in Amsterdam... you know where to go.

Due to lack of time (and spending quite a long time admiring the reptiles), I was unable to see the rest of the zoo. Still, I highly recommend visiting this zoo. Even if it's just to see the herps.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the list looks good, can you pop back and get a few pics to go with it? (Thanks)! ;)
    I take it you didn`t get to Rotterdam zoo?

3. Unfortunately I'm in Paris right now and heading back to America tomorrow. ): I really need to get a camera (and bring it with me wherever I go). Again, sorry about that. Pictures would've gone perfect with the list if I had them.

I could match each one with a picture from the internet but it definitely wouldn't be the same.

Nor did I get a chance to visit the Rotterdam Zoo. Have you ever been there?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, I haven`t visited Holland yet, I was asking about Rotterdam zoo because they keep (and breed) Komodo dragons, and Varanids are my main interest these days.
    Yes, when you get back home buy a decent camera then go back and get the pics, I`ll wait here impatiently for the results...... ;)

5. Oooh, then that's definitely a place to visit. Too bad I missed it. ):

And yeah, I promise the pictures will be up one day, but it may be a bit of a while. : p

6. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

How cool, what a great experience! Would love to go to both Amsterdam and Rotterdam, they love their reptiles and have a number of mixed species exhibits, or so I've read.

Guther's leaf-tailed gecko should read Gunther's leaf-tailed gecko (Uroplatus guentheri). Thanks for sharing your experience... I will also wait impatiently for pictures. ;)

7. Rich went ahead and made the fix for me, so now it's Gunter and not Guther. Thank you for letting me know about the mistake and thanks Rich for making the change!

And you know what? I think I'll go along and wait impatiently for those pictures too. : p I'd love to go back and see the collection, it was sincerely amazing.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

So what are you waiting for???? :-"

9. A plane ticket back to Holland would be nice : p

However, I plan to visit the local zoo here. I've heard they've quite a few reptiles and this time I will take pictures of each and every one. That's a promise.