This Disappears When Logged In

Amphibians Respond Behaviorally To Impact Of Clear Cutting

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The number of amphibians drastically decreases in forest areas that are clearcut, according to previous studies. However, some animals may not be dying. Instead, a biologist says some animals may be moving away (possibly to return later) or retreating underground. The finding could have major implications for both the timber industry and the survival of amphibians.

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about Amphibians Respond Behaviorally To Impact Of Clear Cutting?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Amphibians Respond Behaviorally To Impact Of C

Very interesting study.
    Of course if theres a way for them to survive then they will use it, Nature is very adaptable,..
    up to a point.
    However at what point does the clear cutting become so substantial as to wipe out a local population beyond repair. I don't think they know yet.

3. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Exactly, Merlin... and how far is too far for an amphibian to travel without cover? Even the six miles suggested in the article may be too vast for certain species. Very timely... we just studied clear cutting in my environmental science class last night.

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

yeah I have a hard time seeing a PDF moving 3 miles away, which would be the radius for one that was at the center of the clear cut zone....

5. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Exactly. There may not even be another "pocket" ecosystem close enough to matter. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.