This Disappears When Logged In

Amel Russian(Amur) Rat snake

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by JMM, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Hello, good people !

I´ve chosen my 2nd snake.
    I wanted a diurnal, semi-arboreal snake, with a good size and a nice temperament. Of course, it had to be a colubrid to meet Portuguese law (isn´t changing in a long time - if ever -, inspite of the efforts, I guess...).

It´s final enclosure (in an year or so) will be paced in a quiet corner of my living-room, as a display naturalistic terrarium. Probably, something with a (triangular) base of 80x120x144 cms (32"x48"x57,6") and a high of 60 to 80 cms (24" to 32"), creating 2 levels (a kind of "mezannine") to increase ground floor.

After long consideration, I´ve opted for a beautiful amelanistic Russian rat (Elaphe schrenkii schrenkii). I´m buying it from a known Spanish (Barcelona) breeder. The amel russian rat is a new project of that breeder (co-project with a Dutch breeder, actually) and I´m going to be the 1st one in Portugal to keep one (problably, not only Portugal...)

I´m quite excited with this baby.
    Allthough I don´t have a picture of my snake, yet... here´s a pic of one of the brothers:

[​IMG]

For those of you less familiar with this snake, I enclose a care sheet, by Steve Found, traken from another forum ( as it is quoted, I hope it´s ok to publish it here. If not...please remove)

I should get him within the next 10 days..:D

I´ll keep you posted.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Wow, its beautiful. I love the coloration. Cant wait to see pics of your baby.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on the new addition!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A very nice looking specimen!

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow thats amazing looking! you're very lucky. good luck with the new baby when it gets to you! :D

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

That is one awesome snake. I've only seen one at a show years ago, alas it was not for sale and I've wanted one ever since. You are quite lucky to have come across one. Best of luck and please post pics as it ages,

7. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Just to clarify that I don´t have any pics of my snake..yet
    The one pictured above is one of the brothers

But next week...I´ll have pictures (I hope) and I´ll naturally post them

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is a very pretty snake indeed. Congrats on the new addition!

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It's too bad about the boid laws in Portugal, but it looks like you've found something VERY stunning to make up for it! :D
    Good luck with your new "baby." I look forward to seeing the pictures.
    Congratulations!

10. JMM

JMM Elite Member

I am really disappointed and angry !

I posted the picture of this baby snake in another forum fully dedicated to Ratsnakes (The ratsnake foundation) and people started to question if this was a Russian (Elaphe schrenckii, former Elaphe schrenkii schrenckii) or a Korean rat snake (Elaphe anomala, former Elpahe schrenkii anomala).

So, I questioned the seller. Turns out, he wasn´t the breeder. It had told me that this was a co-project with a Dutch breeder. Well... he basically bought the eggs from a Dutch breeder, trough an intermediary (co-project, hey ??).

- Ok, than ask the breeder and show me pictures of the parents, I said.

Then he just said that he only had contact with the intermediary (and that he kept confirming it was a "schrenkii"), and he only knew the name of the company of the breeder, but the web site was down.

So, I googled the name of the breeder, and found a way of contacting him (not that difficult...)

The Dutch breeder confirmed that "Of course it is an Elaphe anomala; I do not have Elaphe schrenkii and to the best of my knowledge no one in the world is producing amelanistic schrenkii"

So I, the buyer, informed the seller that he was selling E. anomalas for E. schrenkii !

Isn´t that amazing ?

He apologized (a lot); said he was "mislead" to say the least, bla, bla, bla.

End of a (sad) story. Lesson learned.

Now, I´m sure that the Russian rat is the right snake for me (among the ones I may keep) so I´m in the market for a Hypomelanistic Elaphe Schrenkii for somewhere around Europe. Hope thay are already produced; I´m only sure of melanistic...

It would be nice to find a hypo becasue my wife is afraid/doesn´t like black snakes...
    And the snake will be put in a (future, but already semi-planned) naturalistic terrarium that is going to be a centerpiece of our living-room.

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I can see why you're disappointed; did you buy the Elaphe anomala ? Or are you waiting till you find a breeder with the Hypomelanistic Elaphe Schrenkii ?

Now that you're sure of exactly the snake you want, it's definitely worth taking the time to find a breeder who you can believe: and maybe actually visit to see the parents, etc.

Good luck in your search, João. :)

12. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Is there an update here?

13. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Hi,
    and thanks for your interest !

Andrea,
    I did not buy the E. anomala. I´m definitely going for an E. schrenckii, if I can find one around here or nearby. Finding an hypo, would be 100% !

Jem_Scout,
    The only update is... no (good) news yet.
    I´m trying to find a breeder in Spain ((would be closer) ). Ive tried through a petshop I usually go to, but they´ve already contacted me saying that none of their suppliers breed this species. I´m continuing my search.

I know (personally) a Portuguese snake keeper that has had an E. schrenkii for some years and this year bought another one in Expoterraria (Barcelona). He intends to breed but only next year or even in 2009 (depending on the growth of the new snake). Both are nominal phases, however.

I only wish I don´t have to wait that long.

If anyone around here knows of a breeder of this species that would ship to Portugal, I would appreciate the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.