This Disappears When Logged In

Ambient Temps for Corns

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by MentalMilkSNakes, May 11, 2014.

1. MentalMilkSNakes

MentalMilkSNakes Active Member

I see it is recommended to keep Corn snakes at an ambient temperature of 80-82 degrees. I don't see how anyone could obtain these temperatures in their house with out using a heat lamp on a dimmer switch or thermostat. I have been keeping my corn at an ambient temp of 70-75 degrees without issue. I feel as long as you have a hot spot of 84-87 degrees a corn will do just fine at these ambient temps. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

As long as the snake has one area of the cage where the temperature is in the upper/mid 80s, then it should be fine. If you notice that your corn is spending a lot of time in the warm area, that should be a signal that the temps need increasing. But as long as he/she's eating and shedding normally and is active, it should be fine. It's not really a big problem to maintain high ambient temps. Undertank heaters with a good thermostat are a good option, as are heat lamps (although these tend to dry the air out). TBH, I think it's better to spend some extra money on heating equipment than have to worry about about the snake's health:( vet bills are more expensive in the long run. Your cage is definitely on the cool side but still within the appropriate range. A hot spot in the upper 80s (maybe just slightly more than you have now) should be OK. But it really depends on how your snake is behaving. The best way to know if you're doing the right thing is to watch its behaviour. If it's healthy, then all is well:)

3. MentalMilkSNakes

My corn uses his hot spot probably the least amount of any spot but frequently moves from hide to hide. He has even digested his meals multiple times in the cooler areas without issue. He is very active at night and does several laps around his enclosure. I could always buy a heat lamp and set it over the middle of the enclosure but I really don't feel it's necessary.

4. MentalMilkSNakes

CAM00167.jpg Here's a picture of Big Worm/Earl my okeetee corn snake.

5. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

In that case leave it as it is. They are not exactly tropical animals:), and yours is apparently happy with the way things are. In your situation I don't think you need to buy a heat lamp. It would just give you humidity issues in the end:) Btw, Big Worm (I love the name, lol:)) is an absolute stunner! The colours on him are amazing, I'm jealous:)

6. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I keep my corn any where from 77 to 85 degrees on the hot side. I don't mess with the cooler side really. She's still goin strong. She just shed a couple days ago so she looks real pretty if post a new pic if her but I fed her last night and don't want to disturb her. image.jpg

7. MentalMilkSNakes

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the info and compliment. :">

8. lisas

lisas Elite Member

You do have a pretty corn. Mine is very hardy as well and has digested while on the cool side too. She normally does gravitate toward her warm side to digest, but not always. They are easy keepers.

9. MentalMilkSNakes

Thank you. Reptiles are addicting. I only have a Leopard gecko and corn snake for now but will probably get more in the future. Would be cool to have a reverse Okeetee as well.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If I understand your question, ambient temperature is not the temperature in the room but the temperature in the tank away from the hot spot.

11. MentalMilkSNakes

Yes.