This Disappears When Logged In

Amazon Tree Boa!

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by ilovemyreptiles, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ilovemyreptiles

ilovemyreptiles Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am getting an Amazon Tree Boa Tomorrow in the morning from my Pet Store. Can someone give me some heads up on snakes being shipped. I have never purchased one that was a special order. Is there anything special I need to do? And if anyone has any information on them could you please share... I have information but I was wondering if anyone has any from experience with these types of snakes!! Thanks A lot.

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I've never had a reptile shipped to me either but it should happen soon! I've never owned an amazon tree boa either but I hope to someday(or the tree python..)

Just make sure you can take him out and get him into his enclosure! He might be a wee bit more stressed..

Other than just making sure you have everything ready I don't think you have to do anything special!

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Congrats on the Amazon. Your really don't have to do anything when getting the animal shipped. Just get it into the cage as soon as you can. You said you had some information and I know information on these is hard to come by. If your snake is Wild caught (alot are) you can expect it to be very aggressive to any prodding (have gloves and 2 snake hooks ready). Captive born seem to be a bit more tolerant of being taken out for cleaning, weighing, and other needed activities. Make sure you have everything set up right to provide the needed heat and humidity but also note these snakes like fresh air and may benefit from UVB. I keep mine in large planted exo terra cages with UVB lighting. An have had very little problems with shedding.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, I'll answer them if I can.

4. ilovemyreptiles

thanks everyone!! i am so excited about getting him/her!!! i could not sleep last night!!! I cant wait ill have to post pics of all my animals!!DEff my snakes...lol....

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And be sure to follow the basics. Put the snake in the cage and leave it alone for a week. And don't try to feed immediately.

6. ilovemyreptiles

WOW!!! i got this sucker home put him in the cage he tried to bite me for about an hour through the glass......i have a weird question... when they took him out of the bag at the pet store he pooped everywhere then when i got him home and my b/f got home and we got his pen fixed he pooped everywhere again...is this a defense??

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Sounds defensive to me. Many new snakes are stressed when they are moved to a different location. Often they will "musk" you which is a FOUL smelling concoction they spray on potential enemies in order to escape. If they spray you and you drop them so they can get away, they have accomplished their mission. Biting is also a good defensive measure and LOTS of young snakes employ this method of trying to get away. I have a white-lipped python who bit me repeatedly the day I got him a year and a half ago and just recently (within the past 2 months) has he quit biting. He was also VERY well versed in the musking department. Hope this helps. David

8. SnakeLady0

SnakeLady0 Member

In my experience snakes sometimes "poop" when stressed.

I have a male Amazon, I love him! I am the only one in the house that can/will hold him. He has nipped at me a few times, bit my fingers a few times (doesn't hurt much, their teeth are sharp). He has not eaten yet, but I have only had him a few weeks.

9. titus

I'm not surprised at the reaction of the snake, it's more than likely WC, and after all the musking, Male. Male amazons tend to be the ones to use their musk, my females rarely musk at all. Come to think of it I really can't remember a female ever musking me.

10. titus

11. ilovemyreptiles

I have never heard of a snake musking but i believe that they can! lol... well its good to hear that he is most likely a male!! cause i really don't want to get that close to see!! lol... But i think another one of his problems is he is shedding... my boyfriend took him out of his cage to look at him and so i could get his pen fixed again... and on his belly his scales were coming off then we put him back in his pen and you could see were he is shedding.... so i think that may be another problem with him... our other snakes act defensive when they are shedding but not like him... i have been spraying him with water, i guess you are supposed to do that?!? he seems to shed better when i do ...

12. titus

A lot of snakes use musk to keep other animals from wanting to eat them or making them think their already dead. The defensive personality is just something you'll have to get used to. Amazons don't like being bothered. But as long as they are sitting and calm you can work in the cage around them as long as you don't move too much around and get them interested in you. Shedding doesn't come with much of an attitude change for this snake.

I'm a bit confused on what you said about the scales. It's normal to see some space around the side and ventral scales their made to be used somewhat like hooks for grip when climbing. So they don't always sit flat against the body like other snakes scales. Or is it shed scales? IME my Amazons look dull for 3-6 weeks before a shed. Spraying down the whole cage is good it never hurts to spray amazons (as long as the waters not cold) When you do spray down the cage. See how long it takes for the drops on the leaves or other objects to look dry. If it takes more than one hour under normal lighting you may need to add some airflow to the cage.

13. titus

I re read your post and if he is having a bad shed mist down the cage well for the next few days 2-3 times a day and he should be able to get it all off. As soon as he does you can cut back on the misting a bit.

14. ilovemyreptiles

well we got him out today so i could clean out his water...he musked once.. then i got to feelin of him and his "pooper" is really open and large looking.. i dont know if that is normal or what... he is shedding badly and he looks like he has scales on his eyes..is that normal?? i love him he is very pretty...

15. titus

Please stop taking your snake out of his cage every day. He really needs a week or two to settle in and get used to his new are. you should be able to reach into the cage and change his water and other things while he's resting during the day without him acting agressive. As far as his shed just mist 2-3 times a day untill he's shed compleatly. It should only take a day or two. If it takes longer you can soak him and manully remove the shed.

16. ilovemyreptiles

i dont want to take him out everyday but he is really really really really mean and really really really long like 5 foot and everytime i try and change his water he moves and strikes at me... but he's still shedding... i mist him alot and it seems to be helping alot...

17. titus

Don't worry so much about changin his water now just keep it full and give him a few days to calm down. Once he knows he's not going to be bothered all the time he'll stop being on the look out for you and you'll be able to work in the cage with out having too much trouble.

It also helps if he's in a good sized cage and the water bowl is place near the front of the cage. My adult cages are 24 x 18 x 24 and I have no problems getting into the cage to do clean up without being bit.

18. ilovemyreptiles

today i tried to feed him he caught it and did his thing then he dropped it...why would he do that?? just to kill it?

19. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I posted a thread the other day on quarantine procedures with some really great feedback. This snake sounds extremely stressed. I would say you guys may just want to leave him be for awhile and let him settle in. I know with a new animal you want to check it out and make sure it is perfect, but all of that is very stressful and small steps is best. If this animal is wild caught I hope it is away from your other animals for awhile. To make sure it didn't bring any unwanted friends with it. The musking is a sign of fear and stress which is normal for snakes that are not used to being handled. The other suggestion is if it is in a high traffic area cover the cage so it can't see out and can relax a little better.

20. ilovemyreptiles

yes well we have left him awhile for a few days.. ive just been sitting and checking him out... no hes not near any of my other snakes or animals... he is in my dogs room..lol..yes my dog has a room... but he and my other animals are down there... ive been unplugging his light during the day and just leaving it off for a hour or so at a tome and let him hang out....