This Disappears When Logged In

Amazon tree boa breeders

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by Dukes, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dukes

Dukes New Member

I'm in Austin, TX. I was wondering if anyone knew of any breeders in the area? This will be my first ATB. Any help is appreciated.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I don'y know of any local breeders in your area but we have a few in mine that supply the local pet stores. I could make some inquiries for you.

3. sprkn1

sprkn1 Active Member

you can check out the classifieds at kingsnake.com, i recently purchased an Amazon tree boa from a company called clockwork reptiles, i was very satisfied with the animal sent, even took a meal the first day. And another suggestion would be for its perch. The one i found to work the best a T design after this i never found my Amazon on the floor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres a link to kingsnake, Kingsnake.com Classifieds, you can try and find a breeder in Texas, you should drive out and meet the breeder, and take a look at his other animals and check out his shop/place where he breeds and keeps his animals. Besides you save on shipping and you can see whether or not the person is reliable to purchase from or not. Good luck with your search and post pics when you finally found what your looking for.

4. Dukes

Dukes New Member

I've looked on Kingsnake.com. Not that into buyinig an animal before I've ever interacted with. I'd rather travel a little to seen what suited me best. Also, paying $50 + for something that cost a little over fifty is a little crazy to me. Just my thoughts. Thanks for the help.

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Cant really interact much with an ATB. Unless you like tagged. The best breeder i know of is GHI, stunning animals. Costly but stunning. I cant think of anyone else off the top of my head though.

6. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

I don't have any idea about local breeders in your area, but Matt at GHI is one of the best around. Mike Heinrick is also a great guy, he is in Ohio, I believe. Danny Mendez (Urban Jungles) is in New Jersey. All of these guys are actual breeders. If you attend a show you are more than likely to be dealing with a reseller and not the actual breeder. Even shows that claim to be "Captive Bred" only, tend to look the other way when WC stuff is on people's tables. They are in the business of selling tables, not herps.;)

Amazons are like emeralds when it comes to buying them. Quality will only come from a reputable breeder which, at present, are few and far between.

Craig

7. Dukes

Dukes New Member

SO would everyone agree, GHI and Urban Jungles are reputable breeders? What are some of the risks in getting a snake from a bad breeder? Temperment?Iisn't that a big reason these beauties are not too popular? Color? Even Garden phase can produce colored snake. Maybe longevity? Just a couple questions.

8. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I can't speak for ATBs in particular, but a "bad breeder" might not actually be a breeder at all; rather a middleman selling wild-caught animals as captive bred. Temperment is not so much the problem (as it can be with dogs, etc.) -- usually you're looking at something more serious, such as parasites from an imported wild-caught animal.
    We got one of our Green Tree Pythons from someone claiming to have bred them himself: our animal was very under-sized and underweight for his age due to several types of internal parasites (which we found out later). Unlikely that this was really a Captive Bred animal! We were able to treat the parasites, and he's a great snake, but we paid a high price for a so-called CB snake and then all the extra cost and trouble of getting it healthy again...
    It's worth getting one from a breeder with a good reputation. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.