This Disappears When Logged In

Amazon enclosure is done.

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Paleosuchus, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paleosuchus

Paleosuchus Established Member

Here is the finished amazon enclosure. The great stuff job is alittle rough looking as it was my first time. Sorry for the bad photo.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    -jason

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Looks good. That great stuff is a little hard to work with, I hope you didn't get any on your hands. Instead of leaving it to just cure as it is I usually sprinkle it with sand or use a steak knife to cut the foam flat and make it look less foamy.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Looks awesome Jason, good job!!!

4. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

Nice Job!, Whenever I do a "Greatstuff" background I use my Dremel Miniature sanding/grinding tool it works great and allows you to sculpt a very realistic looking background.

Attached Files:

5. Paleosuchus

Paleosuchus Established Member

Thanks. I hate that wormy look it gives. In acouple months i will probably redue the great stuff. Thanks for that tip deltro and chronic. I bet that sand looks awesome on it. An i did not even think about useing my little dremal.
    -jason

6. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

Hey Jason Here's a semi close up of a backgroung that was made using black greatstuff that I later finished off with my dremel...you see even the Tree frog cant tell its not real! :D

Attached Files:

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I think it looks great Jason! :D Your Amazons are going to love it!! (I have the same Bromeliad in my big display terrarium -- it really adds a lot to the tropical look.)
    If you don't like the look of the background but don't feel like changing it now: get some Tillandsia Spanish moss and hang it onto the background. You have to mist it with water every day but it looks nice and helps keep the humidity-levels up! :)

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Looks good! :)

What is "great stuff", and could it be used to help insulate glass tanks?

What about putting it on the outside of a tank (back and sides) as opposed to the inside? Coul that be done?

It is ok under heat lamps? It won't give off toxic fumes or anything, will it?

Sorry for all the questions :eek: ...I'm looking for a better way to insulate my glass snake tanks...Right now I've got tin foil lining the outsides of my tanks in an effort to keep them from losing too much heat through the glass....Right now, it's not too bad, but in colder months, it's a real struggle to keep the heat in...

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Nice tank. You did a good job. Great stuff is pretty messy. We use some similar stuff when we are fire blocking.

10. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Juliane, Great stuff is a polyurethane insulation foam, so it does help to insulate glass tanks, though thats usually not the purpose with vivs. It doesn't off gas any fumes (once dry) under normal heat-however a heat lamp might break it down. If you cover the foam in something solid such as mortar or epoxy the foam wouldn't break down in any way. If you covered it how it is usually done in herp cages (silicone) I would think the constant fluctuations (hot and dry during the day, cooler and damper at night) the silicone and foam would begin to break down.

You can check the site above, they have a product info page that should have safety data sheets. I use the 'gaps and crack' can, the red one, it dries firm and an off white. It's easy to work with as it can be carved easily with a steak knife and you can easily run chords behind and through the foam. You may even be able to put a heat pad in it, though don't quote me on that, I haven't had a chance to read the safety data sheets. There are other polyurethane foams that you can use too, much more heavy duty ones are available.

11. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

What about using rigid foam insulation? Like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.